Gw #2

Jlemay3

SF3Q1kg.jpg

Second GW Inaugural Button this summer. Different variety than the first and in even better shape. Safe to say my weekend was made.

Those really are fantastic finds. I have found many colonial buttons, yet that one eludes me. I have a more than casual interest in President Washington. I guess my spending so much time reading, studying and hunting areas he was known to have been. I hope one day to add one of those to my collection. Well done sir.

No WAY man, that is in awesome condition!!!

I wish I had gotten a picture of it with a light on it from the side but I only had the one on my phone at the time which obviously can't do both at once. Not that it doesn't look good here but with a light it really shows how crisp the details are, you can see all the individual feathers and rays on the sun. It definitely was situating shank up in the ground, which was fortunate as there's only those couple tiny spots of corrosion, the rest is pretty much in original condition. Plus I accidentally gave it a little kiss with the trowel but fortunately I got the back side. It was no more than 2" deep, as was my first GW and both were in spots indicative of them having entered the ground (or at least moved to that specific spot) after the building was abandoned. I've been meaning to talk to my local historical society about putting together a display for them but have been waiting to get some even better finds so this is a big contributor to that.

Well that must be worth some moola!:yes:

It's hard to get a good idea on these, there isn't really a price guide like the red book. Can go off of recent eBay sales but they aren't super accurate and not a whole lot of them in the past couple months that show on the app. I wouldn't sell it anyway, the first one I found is likely worth a lot more as its a rare variety and i still have that one. Id have to be really struggling to consider selling, I'm actually hoping to get the okay to put up a display in a local historical society

Great find, it is listed in Albert's button book as a WI (Washington Inaugural) 1A. It was the first of the Washington Inaugural Buttons

Great find, it is listed in Albert's button book as a WI (Washington Inaugural) 1A. It was the first of the Washington Inaugural Buttons

Thank you! I realized afterwards the title may be confusing, it's GW1 but my second GW, probably should have said that rather than #2. Pretty cool finding the first one made, they were mostly all made of brass but a small amount copper. I'm pretty sure this one is brass but don't really know how to tell the difference without damaging it

Back
Top Bottom