Scored a key date wheat

TundraPlugger

Elite Member
Did some traveling to do some metal detecting today. I drove down to my target town to check out the old school but as usual it has been pounded to the point of no high tones. Got tired of not digging anything other than a memorial so I drove 20 miles down the road to an almost ghost town.
I hit up the park there which I had detected once before. This park has been hunted to death as well but someone came along and did some tree trimming and grass cutting..... looked like some fresh ground to detect. Went along the edge of the tall grass and dug up two wheats.... alright! I'm on the board!
Lost interest in that park shortly after so I hit up one of the nearly abandoned towns on the way back home. I went to a few empty lots that the city owns and scored Nothing!

Well, I got in my truck and started to drive home feeling halfway defeated until I cleaned off one of the wheats. It was a 1924-D. I thought to myself that that might be a better one but I wasn't sure until I looked in my Redbook and discovered it's worth about $45!

No silver or tokens today but I'll take what I got.
abb939adc9a65de9eb0f534aab2b41c6.jpg
21c4db672fbf12c06dc6cd2ee5cf0bcd.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Congrats! One of the 4 wheats I haven’t dug! Nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always like digging Wheats - not only is it a good sign that I'm in an area old enough for silver, but I just plain like the obverse (edit: oops...meant reverse!) design. Plus, in a lot of cases, it's the only "old" coin still left to find on many sites in my area :lol:

But add in the possibility of finding a $45 Wheat? Yeah, I could really like digging Wheats even more!

Nice job bagging a key Wheat! That's a really good hunt right there!

Last edited:
I always like digging Wheats - not only is it a good sign that I'm in an area old enough for silver, but I just plain like the obverse design. Plus, in a lot of cases, it's the only "old" coin still left to find on many sites in my area [emoji38]

But add in the possibility of finding a $45 Wheat? Yeah, I could really like digging Wheats even more!

Nice job bagging a key Wheat! That's a really good hunt right there!
I'm with you..... I like digging wheats, kind of gives away a good spot. I have noticed though that wheats don't always equal silver.

Congrats on the key date wheat! I've probably dug over 500 wheats and have yet to score a key date. Ya never know what's in that next plug though!

Congrats on the key date wheat! I've probably dug over 500 wheats and have yet to score a key date. Ya never know what's in that next plug though!
Thanks Wave! I also dug a 1912 D about a few weeks ago which I would call a semi-key but nothing like the 24 D.

Back
Top Bottom