I Struck GOLD (x2), Silver, a Watch and a Knife Underwater

PaleoCris

Earlier this week, I had a chance to get out and do a little hunting while subtropical storm Alberto was coming down on us here in FL. The river was just starting to rise and the visibility was getting worse, but it still made for a great hunt. I got a little gold necklace, a 10k men's wedding band, a .925 silver earring, a nice little pocket knife, a watch, tons of sunglasses (including a pair of Oakleys), etc.

As I always do lately, I recorded a video of finding all the stuff to share:

For those who don't want to watch the video, here's the trip's finds:

pzAguab.jpg

Since this trip, the river is flooded and I'm going to have to patiently wait for it to go back down. I might go crazy not being able to hunt it. :grin:

-PaleoCris

Awesome finds. I want to do some river hunting myself. Still a bit cold for where I am thinking though.

I recently found a knife too! Mine was no where near as nice as the one you found. It was an older folding knife that was rusted shut, but hey it was still a first.

I especially liked seeing that you picked up trash along the way! You definitely left that river bottom in better shape for your visit.

Finding a working/repairable watch is one of my personal grails, combining detecting and watch collecting! The pins are super cheap - any jeweler will set you up; I have a set of watch pins I bought off eBay years ago.

Awesome finds. I want to do some river hunting myself. Still a bit cold for where I am thinking though.
One thing I cannot stand is getting cold while in the water! Even when wading now, I wear a wetsuit..It makes it much more comfortable. Good luck when the weather/water warms up and thanks for the comment!

I recently found a knife too! Mine was no where near as nice as the one you found. It was an older folding knife that was rusted shut, but hey it was still a first.
Very nice...knives are always fun to find, no matter the condition. I just purchased a big magnet for magnet fishing and a knife is one of the first things on the list of things I want to find with it!

Great Hunt and love the video !!! Congrats on all your finds !!!
Thanks! Glad to hear people are enjoying the vids.

I especially liked seeing that you picked up trash along the way! You definitely left that river bottom in better shape for your visit.

Finding a working/repairable watch is one of my personal grails, combining detecting and watch collecting! The pins are super cheap - any jeweler will set you up; I have a set of watch pins I bought off eBay years ago.
I always try my best to leave places looking better than when I got there...and I'd love if I was able to inspire others to do the same.

I got some pins in the mail yesterday, repaired the broken one and adjusted the band to fit. The pins cost like, $5 for 360 pins and a tool for changing them. I just like being able to tell people that the watches I wear, sunglasses, etc. were all found by me. :D

I also love watches, though I haven't invested any money into good ones yet...I did buy a little Vostok Amphibia that I modded as an automatic scuba diving beater watch a while back, which I love.

Good luck on finding a watch. People lose a good amount of them in swimming holes/jumping platforms/rope swings!

-PaleoCris

Wow nice job. Pretty cool and incredible to find that stuff laying on top of the rocks, and silt. :yes:

Thanks TommyJay, Princess and NCtoad!

Wow nice job. Pretty cool and incredible to find that stuff laying on top of the rocks, and silt. :yes:
That's how I've found most of my stuff over the years, even though I do have and use detectors occasionally too...I've found it very productive to just let the current pull me along with my boat and constantly scan the bottom of the river.

Great video,,,, I guess you never no what you will find down there,,,, Doesn't alligators come after you,,,, :shock:
I've been diving FL rivers for 10 years, and snorkeled for quite a few years before that. I haven't had a negative experience with an alligator yet, and I see them on logs and the banks of the rivers I dive all the time.

Great vid. After being in a dive shop yesterday and contemplating getting certified, I probably shouldn't watch videos like this. :laughing:

Damn, that looks so cool and fun to do! Big Congrats on all your great finds. What kind of set up do use and how deep is the water?

beephead

Damn, that looks so cool and fun to do! Big Congrats on all your great finds. What kind of set up do use and how deep is the water?

beephead
Thanks! I have a Tesoro Tiger Shark and a Vibra-Tector 730, but I used my favorite detector for this trip: my eyeballs. Seriously, I have found far more jewelry over the years with my eyes than I have a detector...In some places, the detector slows me down....but if it's muddy or sandy, the detectors come out.

So you have Mardi Gras down their also? I find hundreds of those beads every year in a couple of party spots. Looks like an awesome place to find more gold
After memorial day, you'd be hard pressed not to find a bunch of those in just about any party place around here.

I'm definitely going to be back here with the detector after I get all the surface finds picked up.

-PaleoCris

Back
Top Bottom