Another silver ring...and another Ronson lighter to bookend my year...

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
Today we had a break in the weather.
Got up to 65, no frozen dirt, sunny and beautiful so I had to get out.
Tomorrow back to the 30's, like a 30 degree difference...why I moved away from the south I will never understand.

Found another nice little silver ring with some onyx, almost every hunt lately I seem to be coming home with silver jewelry.

P1050532.jpg

I also found this Ronson lighter in an area I could get to because the underbrush finally died back enough.
Not deep at all, mostly under the leaves and it still had a little butane in it and works perfectly.

P1050538.jpg

On the very first hunt of 2014 I found a Ronson lighter from the 40's in the woods, American made, cost about $5.50 in 1946, the year of that print ad, now that would be about $65 in today's dollars.

ronson.jpg

ronson ad.jpg

This new one is made in China, value oriented, (aka cheap!) and costs about $5.50 in today's dollars, too.
Man there are a bunch of people knocking these things all over the net after they ran out of fuel and stopped working, but none of them bothered to look up exactly how to refill them the right way...I did.
As craptacular as they are, they seem to have a following out there for those that know how to maintain and fill them correctly, even mods to make them work better.

In the middle of these two finds I also dug up 2 slip wheel lighters that are also old.
A normal size one and a mini-me version.

2 slip lighters.jpg

Both brass, I guess this was my year for digging up lighters.
No Zippo's this year, but I have found them before and with luck I will still get some more days to hunt and find one before the ice and snow that I am sure will arrive eventually shuts me down.

A nice beginning and end to 2014.
I will add this lighter into the neato finds for 2014 pile.
That pile got bigger than I ever thought it would this year.

Congrats on the silver! Cool info about the lighters as well.

Back
Top Bottom