MILSPEC REVIEWS Finds POUCH, lesche SHEATH, detecting BELT

HullGuitars

Forum Supporter
I ordered the Milspec pouch a few weeks ago and after a little reminding Van got it shipped out to me at the end of last week. It arrived today!!!

All I can say is WOW! The quality is FAR ABOVE what I was expecting even though I knew it would be really nice. Everything is as advertised and I am more than pleased. The pouch itself is very sturdy and will easily last me 10 years even in the rough conditions I hunt. Its absurd to hunt without a good pouch and I have no idea why I have done it so long!
After spending a lot of time talking with Van I knew he was a great craftsman and the quality of this setup proves it! He, like myself, is an accomplished knife maker. He makes some amazing combat knives and has some serious skills in the craft.

This pouch is perfect in my opinion. Its the perfect size, unlike most OVERSIZED pouches. It has three pockets, including a "secret" interior pocket for those GREAT finds. It has several loops inside for tools or a pen or something like that. Also has a loop on the outside for clipping a carabineer on there attaching whatever. The mesh is very heavy duty, which is the fatal flaw in most pouches.

The digging tool sheath is awesome! It has an opening at the bottom so the dirt can fall out. That's a great feature. The pocket on the front of the sheath is perfect for keeping necessities. I will probably put a nice pocketknife in there, and maybe a small LED single AAA flashlight. I will be making my own digging tool out of hardened spring steel. Haven't finalized the design yet but will get on that this week. I want a PRYING tool that will dig a little.... lol.:lol:
I made the knife in the sheath 6 years ago. Its a colt 1911 knife and will accept any set of 1911 grips. Its just in the photo for giggles.

The belt is very firm, sturdy, and rigid. It will maintain its shape with a lot of weight hanging from the pouch and sheath. It is fully adjustable. I should have ordered it a bit bigger. I have a size 30 waist, and it fits perfectly when fully extended. But if I have heavy cloths or waders on I'm in trouble. The hook and loop (Velcro) design is great so that your gear stays WHERE YOU PUT IT! That's always my biggest problem with my current cheapo pouch and knife sheath. It slides around my leather belt a lot when I'm out digging.
All in all I would give this an A+++++ and would refer anyone to Van's "Milspec Metal Detecting" gear.

Attachments

• milspec1.jpg
    milspec1.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 393
  • milspec2.jpg
    milspec2.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 383
  • milspec3.jpg
    milspec3.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 386
  • milspec4.jpg
    milspec4.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 389
  • milspec5.jpg
    milspec5.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 383
  • milspec6.jpg
    milspec6.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 373
  • milspec7.jpg
    milspec7.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 371
Those guys are a little too "TEAM AMERICA, **** YEAH!!" for me. For 45 bucks I wouldn't expect that their logo wouldn't be written in sharpie on the inside. But I'm glad you're digging it. I have no problem with foreign made products so I'll stick with my Maxpedition dump pouch for half the cost and indestructible build quality.

Sorry, didn't mean to be a downer lol, I guess I am just not big on these guys after their order fulfillment fiasco.

Those guys are a little too "TEAM AMERICA, **** YEAH!!" for me. For 45 bucks I wouldn't expect that their logo wouldn't be written in sharpie on the inside. But I'm glad you're digging it. I have no problem with foreign made products so I'll stick with my Maxpedition dump pouch for half the cost and indestructible build quality.

Sorry, didn't mean to be a downer lol, I guess I am just not big on these guys after their order fulfillment fiasco.

Yep they put a LOT of guys off with that whole thing last year...mine took three months to get (and that was only after MANY angry emails). I think some guys never received anything. If he really has straightened things out and is getting orders out in a timely manner now then more power to him. Truth be told, the products are very well made but I probably still would not order again.

Yeah, I mean it's one thing if you're starting your business off and having problems getting off the ground. It's another thing to just not communicate or refund your money. I love this forum because they allow us to talk about things like this so we don't get screwed. So far my experiences with Big Boys and Hollands Brook have been excellent.

Two questions:

What are the dimensions on the pouch? It looks very small to me. I often end up with the Garrett pouch half filled with trash some of it larger stuff (fence wire, etc) and that looks like it wouldn't hold very much.

It looks like the sheath isn't lined with anything and is made from a Cordura type material. Since many of us use a digger that has teeth on at least one side, I'd imagine the cordura would look pretty ratty in short order from all the in and out and the teeth grabbing at the fabric. What's your thoughts on that?

I don't know anything about fulfillment issues, but sounds like even now you had a problem with that.

Thanks

Two questions:

What are the dimensions on the pouch? It looks very small to me. I often end up with the Garrett pouch half filled with trash some of it larger stuff (fence wire, etc) and that looks like it wouldn't hold very much.

It looks like the sheath isn't lined with anything and is made from a Cordura type material. Since many of us use a digger that has teeth on at least one side, I'd imagine the cordura would look pretty ratty in short order from all the in and out and the teeth grabbing at the fabric. What's your thoughts on that?

I was thinking the same thing. However, I like the fact that the bottom of the pouch is rounded so there are no corners to have to dig small items out of. It would be nice if the belt was adjustable for size. The Velcro flap holder may not last long with regular use. All-in-all though, it looks like it can get the job done and isn't too heavy or bulky. Nice rig.

Back
Top Bottom