A subjective, "broken record" type topic....

Ashtro1969

Okay, I have searched and read a lot of the previous posts on the topic of headphones, so let me first apologize for sounding like a broken record. I also realize that headphone choice is a very subjective topic, but I do want (and need) some input on my upcoming headphone purchase. Unfortunately, I can't just bebop down to the store and test some out (detector specific ones any way). The Koss UR30's that came with my Explorer Pro SE crapped out the other day, and upon inspection of them, I realized how cheaply (and poorly) made they are. It started with the jack crapping out. I know they are guaranteed, but I am not one to send something in to have to wait for them to return. I resoldered the wires on the jack, and made a new reinforcment boot with a black crayola marker lid, some electrical tape and sealed it all together with some heat shrink. Problem solved, they worked great for about another day. It was a lot's of intermintent hissing/popping/silence, etc. I popped them apart, and saw that the one of the wires on the left speaker was hanging on by couple of strands of wire, and the wire itself was very, very thing (22 awg maybe?). I popped open the right speaker and it too was hanging on by a "thread). Very poor quality workmanship but maybe I got a bad set, who knows? I plan on rewiring them, but was not really all that fond of them anyway. In the meantime, I bought a pair of headphones at BestBuy to make due. They work way better than the Koss but they are made for music and are not at all durable enough for detecting. So, I want to buy another pair, detector "specific" so to speak. I have researched a lot of the brands, and I keep looking at the Sunray Gold Pros but would like some input from other's as to their preferences. Some things to consider; I am swinging a Minelab Explorer Pro SE, my hearing has been diminished from working around aircraft and guns for 20+ years (fairly bad tinnitus, but I can still hear most sounds fairly well if I focus.) Also, I do not mind spending money for quality, but I am trying to keep my expenses in check as I am about to retire from the USMC and also have my Son's Senior Prom/Graduation and possible relocation to wherever to consider :juggle::violin:. While I know I will find work, and have a pension (about half what I make now), I still am trying to save where I can (know anywhere that offers military discount's?;)) As it is, when I bought my Explorer a few months ago, my wife about had an anureusym when she saw the price:what::yikes: She calmed down and was okay once I said it is my early birthday/retirement/anniversery present. I would say in the $100-$150 range would be okay. I also prefer wired phones and I will not buy anything from the site that starts with Kelly and ends with Co again so do not suggest that (another story, ask if you are curious). So, with all of that being said, please give me your two cents (or tell me to quit with the diatribe(s) and read more posts...:lol:)

I use the sunrays and they are nice and the sound is great
the only thing that I dont like about them are the ear muffs
there made of leather and its too dry here and they are hard and cracked

I use the sunrays and they are nice and the sound is great
the only thing that I dont like about them are the ear muffs
there made of leather and its too dry here and they are hard and cracked

Have you tried any kid of leather conditioner/treatment for the muffs to keep them from cracking?

I have the E-Trac and it came with the Koss also, And I've already had to repair the Jack end....I'll be looking at some killer Bee's my self, Thank you for your service and sacrifice
"YOU" are a TRUE AMERICAN HERO...............HH

Have you tried any kid of leather conditioner/treatment for the muffs to keep them from cracking?[/QUOTE

yes
the directions say to use it every time you use the head phones but that didn't last long
I think the sweat got to them

Yeah, that makes sense. Didn't take into consideration the "salt" factor from the sweat. Well, that is one thing to consider as I sweat a lot.

I have the E-Trac and it came with the Koss also, And I've already had to repair the Jack end....I'll be looking at some killer Bee's my self, Thank you for your service and sacrifice
"YOU" are a TRUE AMERICAN HERO...............HH

Hopefully the "innards" of your Koss phones aren't as bad as mine was. Thanks for the complement.

Back
Top Bottom