Ran into some archeologists and my first three ringer!!

The Jersey Digger

Elite Member
Went back at lunch for a shorter hunt to the house of coppers. This is a place where on Saturday I found 9 coppers at. I went further down their property basically as a scouting mission to try and locate the towns first business from 1761 that was a tannery. Who did I run into? Archeologists looking for the same thing. LOL. Anyway to make a long story short, they said I could keep whatever I found. They just wanted me to document anything that could be dated. I hit an area where they thought the tannery may have been. Didn't find much but I did get a new first. I big first for me. This might be like finding pennies to some but I have been dying to find one of these for a long time. My first three ringer CW bullet! Came in at 9-38 on the Etrac at 8" deep. How awesome is that?

Attachments

• photo 19.jpg
    photo 19.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 633
  • photo 20.jpg
    photo 20.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 602
  • photo 21.jpg
    photo 21.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 597
  • photo 22.jpg
    photo 22.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 602
Congrats. I'm still researching potential sites and hope to add that to my list in the near future.

yeah they (archaeologists) all don't hate us detectorists Sean , congrats on the minnie ball

yeah they (archaeologists) all don't hate us detectorists Sean , congrats on the minnie ball

It was funny when I ran into them I said "You're gonna hate me but I am friends with the owners and". He cut me off and said the guy with the metal detector. I said yes. They just asked what I found. I told them I found a grapeshot further up the property and now with the Minnie ball they are wondering if there was any minor military action here. I don't think they cared for me, but I did offer my help in the future, especially since they don't want anything I find...

Haha, I'm going to be hopefully be a archaeologist when I'm older. Hopefully get a Phd also. I think metal detecting is good, better they get found and not documented than rot for a thousand yrs.

Nice! Congrats on your first. I still have my first, remember exactly where I found it, and have it labeled #1 in my collection. I'm guessing I have close to 500 or so, but the first one is special. I was using my first machine, a F2 and it was found at my first Civil War site, which I still hunt often.

Nice job! Looks like a nice dropped .58 Minnie to me.

May you find many more.

That is Great! Glad to see you found your first 3 ringer, you are not exactly in prime 3 ringer country up there. :D I love digging bullets and never get tired of it.

That is Great! Glad to see you found your first 3 ringer, you are not exactly in prime 3 ringer country up there. :D I love digging bullets and never get tired of it.

Delaware is definitely not prime cw hunting. But I do have permission in va for some prime real estate. Thx.

that sure was mighty kind of that arkie to "let you keep what you find" .:roll: like its his choice? you should have told him since he was so nice, you would allow him to stay there with you.

He knew since I had owners permission to be there he couldn't stop me. I was just being nice. Lol

You sure this guy was a professional and not just an amateur? I used to do archaeology and I've NEVER heard any of them say something like that. Usually quite the opposite. They might let you keep what you found previously. But much of the knowledge comes from the artifact being "in-situ". Sorry for being cynical.

He is part of the towns historical society. This is what he does bit since I have my own permission to be there he couldn't take anything from me. But I will help them out.

Contract archaeology

You sure this guy was a professional and not just an amateur? I used to do archaeology and I've NEVER heard any of them say something like that. Usually quite the opposite. They might let you keep what you found previously. But much of the knowledge comes from the artifact being "in-situ". Sorry for being cynical.

If they were contract archaeologists working for a land developer, they don't really want to find anything. They are hired to basically say "oh, nothings there, you can build on it".

If they were contract archaeologists working for a land developer, they don't really want to find anything. They are hired to basically say "oh, nothings there, you can build on it".

These guy work directly for the town's historical society. In fact the are amatuers.. But I have permission to be there anyway...

Back
Top Bottom