Disappointing old home?

Arkwater

Got permission to hunt a yard of a 1901 home today. You would think it would really produce. Well, it did, nothing but trash everywhere. Apparently when they put aluminum siding on in the 80?s, they were very careless. I can?t get any closer than 20 or 30 feet of the house, or the signals go haywire. If you ever been around aluminum siding scraps you know they ring like a quarter. I dug 50 or 60 scraps in less than an hour. The garden and cellar area were just as littered, but with bottle caps and such. I will be trying the house across the street tomorrow. Wish me better luck.

Plus there is no guarantee that the old house has the goods. I have hunted a few old places and found nothing much. One neighbor said the same psople owned the house many years , had no kids & were very tight. Another had been hunted before and was clean.
But - -another one only produced one coin - but it was a 1918 Standing Liberty quarter. So you take your chances. Good luck on the house across the street. steve in so az

I wouldn't give up on that house just yet. There may be places on the property that the former owners had get togethers, or where there was an old clothesline. Thing is, you just never know what you will find out in the yard farther away from the building itself.;)

Clotheslines

I always look for the tell-tale pulleys on trees or poles at old houses. I've had really good luck finding old coins under where the clothesline would have been.

Better luck with the second house, but I wouldn't give up on the first one yet. Hoser and Marna are right, look for an old clothesline, or an old picninc table type spot. Fence lines and in between the older trees are good spot too. HH!

Got permission to hunt a yard of a 1901 home today. You would think it would really produce. Well, it did, nothing but trash everywhere. Apparently when they put aluminum siding on in the 80?s, they were very careless. I can?t get any closer than 20 or 30 feet of the house, or the signals go haywire. If you ever been around aluminum siding scraps you know they ring like a quarter. I dug 50 or 60 scraps in less than an hour. The garden and cellar area were just as littered, but with bottle caps and such. I will be trying the house across the street tomorrow. Wish me better luck.

Your not alone.......... I got permission to hunt houses built in 1904, 1911 and one that must have been built around 1900 and they all produced almost nothing........ Research doesnt always pay off, but when it does Im sure its worth it. :)

Old Homes

Had the same thing happen the other day. We just kept plugging away and pulled a 1918 wheat and an 1898 Indian Head. We found that if we could go back a second or third time the trash we took out made our hunt a lot more productive.

Thats the way it goes sometimes, but if it was me I would try the first house again. They can"t rule you out just for trying.
HH, Wes.

Back
Top Bottom