New Hand Held GPS available

WThesing

Elite Member
Some of you may know that I use Delorme's Street Atlas software for research and plotting of proposed hunt sites. These maps are much more detailed than those in your typical GPS. I also have the Delorme "Earthmate" GPS, which works with this software in my laptop for travel use and trip monitoring. The problem was for metal detecting, lugging a laptop in the field is not very practical.

Delorme has recently released their PN-20 handheld GPS. It has been in the development and redevelopment process for about 18 months. What makes it unique is that it uses Delorme's Topo USA software as it's map base.This is mapping in 3-D, and much more detailed than anything that Garmin and Magellin have. You are not only able to look at a top down display, but also the next hill in front of you in 3-D. There is nothing else to buy in the way of add on sectional mapping. You can also download satellite maps very similar to Google Earth, and use them as your display. If I remember correctly there are about a half dozen types of display media available that comes with the unit. Coverage is entire USA and Canada. Screen is full color and is not washed out in sunlight. It has expandable memory to 2 Gb plus on board memory at 75 Mb. It is USB capable both upstream & downstream. It is capable of using the "Street Atlas" software as well, but the software code needs to be upgraded - anticipated for the 2008 revision. This unit for the money blows away any other hand held in it's class. $ 369.00 for unit - more deluxe packages available. All Delorme registered customers get a $70.00 discount.

There has been a firmware upgrade to the unit, and another is expected in order to tweak a few minor problems with compass and speed issues.

In the deluxe packages that include a lithium battery & charger, there have been reports of some defective batteries. Delorme has always had excellent customer support, and has replaced them right away.

I myself have been patiently waiting for the release of this product, knowing in advance what capabilities were in development. Now I will have a unit in the field that can exchange data with my mapping software. I can catalog what areas I have covered down to a "footprint" level, in addition to sites that have not yet been hunted along with any research info noted on or in the maps. I have ordered the deluxe package which includes the lithium battery and charger as well as the additional memory card. I will keep you posted on performance in the field.

HH !!!! Bill

For further info: WWW.Delorme.com

Last edited:
I agree that Garmin does not have detailed enough topo and other maps for their GPSr's. I got tired of waiting so I started making my own and loading them into my GPSMap 60CSx. I have much better detail than any of the garmin or any other commercial maps out there afik. I am currently working to build underwater topos for fishing and navigation on some of the local lakes. If you are interested, send me a pm and I will send some links on where to begin downloading to make your own too.

Coyot21

I just picked up a Garmin Etrex Venture CX a couple months ago. It does a good job for what I use it for. But this PN-20 looks sweet. Talk about bells and whistles. That is one nice gps.

Being GPS illiterate,I ask this. How do you use softwear with a handheld GPS? Is it tied in with your computer? ......:?:

You can upload maps from your computer to your gps unit. Then the gps connects to the satellites and gives you your location on the map.

With some units you can both download and upload. You can keep track of trips, hikes, ground you've covered in map files stored in your computer. They can be updated in the future if needed.

Yes, the software is run on your computer, then you use a data cable connection between the GPS and your computer. There are all sorts of types of software to use. Most of them work with your tracks or waypoints you create. When you are geocaching you download files containing waypoints specifically set up for geocaching and then import them into your GPS. Other programs allow you to create routes and share them with others. Still more software allows you to create your own maps to import into your GPS depending on the model and brand you own. I find that the forums at geocaching.com are very similar to this forum and if you are looking for more information on this topic to ask more here or to go look there. The people there are very friendly and helpful to all. There are all sorts of resources shared there regarding maps and gadgets just as they are here. I have seen very few flame wars start there, and those that do are quickly put out just as they are here.

So to the community here at "Friendly Metal Detecting Forum," I say thank you for being so friendly and helpful to all of us n00bs.

Coyot21

Back
Top Bottom