My Best Find Ever!!!!

Beefcake

Elite Member
I went to an old foundation in the middle of the woods where nothing stood except a few of the large sandstones... Got a nice signal that showed 8 inches deep... dug down and pulled a strange looking rusty old bolt. I cleaned it off for a second and decided to check my hole before covering it over and what do I see..... a little round blog of mud.. I had no Idea what it was that I had found but it was about the size of a modern quarter but a bit heavier.... I took it home and gave it a little toothbrush bath and this is what I see....1816-39? Matron Head Large Cent. It was punched, but It has the strangest markings on the back. Above the ONE CENT it looks to say Not, I cannot find any type of variation with writing about ve the "ONE" and secondly the writing around the outside of the wreath, definitely doesn't seem to read AMERICA. Has anyone ever heard of a strange variation like this?

Attachments

• ring 002.jpg
    ring 002.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 319
  • ring 003.jpg
    ring 003.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 321
Cant find anything on that. Are you sure its a U.S. coin ? I cant see it very well

I have searched and searched and cannot find a large cent with writing above the "ONE". It matches everything with the stars head "note the curls of hair on the neck" and the wreath on the back. The only thing strange is that writing over the "ONE". I hope someone has seen it before, it has really got me curious.

That is an Andrew Jackson token .. Do a search on that >>> Nice Find ....No GREAT FIND!!!

Great ID on that coin Jim!

Nice find beefcake! I love the oldies :)

You guys are awesome!

I would have never figured that out.. It is definitely a Hard times Token the back I can clearly see the beginning of the words millions and defense.... I knew something was up with the word Not above the one. Seems they were mostly in 1837 I assume. Being that it is copper, do you think it would be worth having a coin dealer try to clean it up? what's your advise?

Anyone know of any good ways to prevent more corrosion? I hate for it to lose any more integrity. Is there like some kinda oil to put on it as a preserve?

:wow: :wow: :wow: Awesome find. Congrats! I would definitely have a pro look at it and see if the cost of cleaning would be justified. In the pic, it looks to be as clean as it will get, without risking damage. Nice one!

Back
Top Bottom