I need the right detector for cache hunting

unclebob

The Story is my Uncle who passed away a few years ago, buried silver Dollars in Large bags all over his property, but never told anyone where they were. He didn't trust banks or his wife for that matter. Can anyone tell me what a good detector would be for finding buried coins in large groups. he buried his coins in the 1960s, so I would imagine that coins through erosion sank deeper. Please any suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks
Uncle bob  :?:

Hi Bob. What a great treasure hunt you'll be having. :yes: :yes:
Depending on how deep he may have buried them will determine whether or not you'll have any luck. To enhance your chances you'll need a detector that can go deep enough : 2 to 3 feet possibly. The Fisher Gemini is a two box detector that can go that deep on large targets. If you don't think they are that deep or that large , then a convetional detector with at least a 10 inch coil will do. The Whites MXT should do the trick for you.

Hi U Bob, and welcome to the forum. Now this is one story I really want to hear how it comes out. This is the kind of story that dreams are made of. Good luck on the hunt. Please let us know how you do.

Don't forget to search the house too!
How do you know they were silver dollars and that he buried it in the ground? If he wouldn't tell his wife about it, how did you come by this info? Just thinking out loud...

Find out where his bedroom was and look outside that window --> that would be a good place to search. As the old man would like to keep an eye on it ;)

Good luck!

I should have a look at the postings on depths a cache can be found at on the Geotech Forum.
http://thunting.com/geotech/forums
Its a response to Gary in the U.K. burying a few pounds of coins and finding that even the deepest detecting machines could not detect them.

Sorry, guys. If this is not a hoax, I'll give up MDing, even though I'm a newbie! Dig that!

Back
Top Bottom