More of the finds from where the Calif. cob came from...

Ok. 1st off , I was mistakenly under the impression that you didn't travel south of Santa Barbara. That could narrow my search. Haha.. 2nd - I'm just now learning more about land hunting. The older coins from the 1800s seem really beat up and worn. Is that from the age and soil conditions ? As compared to the Eastcoast ? Seems like some of the postings here from those guys , the coins of the same era are in a little better condition. Soil composition ? IDK... Or do they just buy them from a coin shop ? Very exciting finds though.

Hey there KOB : There shall be no-further hints, than is already given, as to the location ! :police: And who said I never go south of Santa Barbara ? The border curfew is only enforced on the So. CA guys. No one ever said us central and northern CA guys couldn't cross over into the south, eh ? :laughing:

The soil minerals here was not kind to the copper and nickels. Silver coins had a "fighting chance" to be redeemable numismatically. Even though you subconsciously knew that all the wheaties and IH's were going to be "hosed" (no value), yet .... it was a rush to be digging them non-stop, back-to-back sometimes. In just 2 hunts, I had over 100 wheaties. Doh !

How did he ascertain a Female lost that Tongue and Wreath Buckle?

Well, one could argue that ....

When I grow up, I want to have the creative writing skills of Mud-puppy ! Your humorous wit always brings a smile to my face :toofunny:

Congrats on all the killer finds Tom !

Congrats Tom and friends. Absolutely killer hunt. You guys must have been beside yourselves. The shear quantity of "goodies" is astounding.
That hunt should have ended at a pub with many hoo haa's, and beers.

Incredible hunting!!!! To find a large cent in CA is probably 1000x rarer than finding gold. To find a silver Cob ?? Maybe 5000x rarer than finding gold. Well those are my odds anyways. Love to see the oldies come out of Cali. Congrats to you and your friends and especially the guy that found it. He probably should get 30% of your finds :D

:wow2: :wow2: :wow2: An absolutely amazing location you're onto, Tom! Super congratulations to you and your buddies! :woot: :woot:

The California Gang strikes again!! :dingding::friends:

Ron, wolf-dog, real-rat-fink, fly-guy, & etrac-Ohio: Thanx for coming along on the hunt with us !

yep! you are right tom! it's why people have told you to come 'hither" to new england bring your 'salesmanship" skills, and hunt the cellar holes and farm fields here! the "largeies" await ...

Yes, it would be fun to do a trek to the east coast. Just to do park hunting, cellar-holes , etc.... I was amazed , on a trip last year, to hunt random park & school and my buddy & I each got an LC ! And we had no trouble scoring some IH's, barbers, etc.... (Although .... I will deny I admitted that there was "wild" LC's there. Since that might infer that I believe the LC nonsense stories/pix from east coasters ! :sissyfight:)

And here is another pix, of one of the hunter's booty pile :

Attachments

• FullSizeR.jpg
    FullSizeR.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 249
Hey there KOB : There shall be no-further hints, than is already given, as to the location ! :police: And who said I never go south of Santa Barbara ? The border curfew is only enforced on the So. CA guys. No one ever said us central and northern CA guys couldn't cross over into the south, eh ? :laughing:

The soil minerals here was not kind to the copper and nickels. Silver coins had a "fighting chance" to be redeemable numismatically. Even though you subconsciously knew that all the wheaties and IH's were going to be "hosed" (no value), yet .... it was a rush to be digging them non-stop, back-to-back sometimes. In just 2 hunts, I had over 100 wheaties. Doh !

When I grow up, I want to have the creative writing skills of Mud-puppy ! Your humorous wit always brings a smile to my face :toofunny:

Ron, wolf-dog, real-rat-fink, fly-guy, & etrac-Ohio: Thanx for coming along on the hunt with us !

Yes, it would be fun to do a trek to the east coast. Just to do park hunting, cellar-holes , etc.... I was amazed , on a trip last year, to hunt random park & school and my buddy & I each got an LC ! And we had no trouble scoring some IH's, barbers, etc.... (Although .... I will deny I admitted that there was "wild" LC's there. Since that might infer that I believe the LC nonsense stories/pix from east coasters ! :sissyfight:)

ain't no !!!!!!!! tom!..just fact! those pics you see are the ''real deal" tons hunt the cellar holes here, and the farmer's fields in all 6 states. always keep in mind it "happened" here first, then moved inland!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

DAAAAAAAAAAANG! Had to wipe the drool off my keyboard. Great place, great hunt! Is it still open for you to hunt, or is the party over? Id be there every day if it was!

Ok. 1st off , I was mistakenly under the impression that you didn't travel south of Santa Barbara.

South of Santa Barbara, tisk tisk tisk...I don't think anyone does more then beach, turf and tot-lots south of SB, we've dug plenty of busts, seateds, Phoenix buttons (actually not quite sure if Tom has:hornetsnest: but I have), Spanish and early Mexican reales south of SB from the 1700's and up - lol

I agree- sick, sick, sick.

But GREAT job locating the park tear out and getting in there to find all those coins.

What country is the 20 Cent piece? I can't make out the text.
I see a Canadian LC also. Not too common in the lower 48.

And a Trime- really sick since these are even rare back here in the east.

Nice assortment of bits & blobs as well.

Great hunt and thanks for the story and pictures.

And I'll trade you an S silver dime for the Trime once I find one.

Very cool Tom glad you got a large cent fix and the 1909 s is awesome the buckle would of been a banner find if whole !!

Awesome haul Tom, congrats! Impressive finds!! :shock:

What fun! ...

thanx for looking guys !

I agree- sick, sick, sick.

But GREAT job locating the park tear out and getting in there to find all those coins.

What country is the 20 Cent piece? I can't make out the text.
I see a Canadian LC also. Not too common in the lower 48.

And a Trime- really sick since these are even rare back here in the east.

The "20c" silver coin is French. And as for trimes ? Heck, I thought they were as common as zincs on the east coast. Right ? :sissyfight:

Very cool Tom glad you got a large cent fix and the 1909 s is awesome the buckle would of been a banner find if whole !!

Hey there claddy : Two LC's were found, between the 6 of us, at this old-town urban tearout. But I wasn't the lucky one. I'll have to settle for my "cob" as my claim-to-fame there, haha.

Yes, the '09s had us chomping-at-the-bit to find the vdb on the reverse. But ... oh well :laughing:

As for the buckle : Yes, if both matching sides had been found, it would have been a high-dollar item !! If the person-who-found it knows of anyone with the male end, I'm sure that his female end will fetch hundreds of dollars, if he wanted to sell.

obviously a east coast guy moved to california, and his cache fell off the moving truck.... :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

i could not even be spoken to for a week with a hunt like that.... my head would swell so big they would paint goodyear on it..

congrats. awesome job.... what was the weapon of choice mind i ask?

... congrats. awesome job.... what was the weapon of choice mind i ask?

Dixie-digger : Thanx for coming-along-for-the-ride .

The machines of choice were : A couple of Explorer II's, and the rest seemed to be Nox 800's.

And in case you're wondering : The 800s did no better than the old "tank" Exp. II's. But .... for that matter, there was also differences-in-counts, even between the 800 users. Just depended on their exact location w/in the site. And/or their experience levels & tolerance level of junk.

One guy, for example, using an 800, was actually passing up low conductors. That's a seeming "no no" for relic-mindset sites, right ? But when you look at the sickly nickels (orange/brown cr#P), it actually wasn't a bad strategy. As long as a guy digs pulltabs and up, he won't miss gold coins. So about the only benefit to chasing foil/nickel whispers, was possibly so-as-not to miss a deep dime on edge or something (that wasn't giving a correct TID).

Each person had their own strategies, experience/skill level, etc.... So it's hard to evaluate machines based on target counts.

At one point, I called over a buddy to listen to a target that I (with Exp. II) figured was about to be a penny/dime. He tried it with his nox, and said "low conductor". Turned out he was right. Some mid-TID range piece of lead or something. So in that case, his 800's TID was more spot- on than my Exp. II. But beyond that, very little machine comparisons were going on.

Again, thanks for sharing these California Hunts!

What with the Kinzli Forum all but dead, it is nice see some familiar User Names.

Again, thanks for sharing these California Hunts!

What with the Kinzli Forum all but dead, it is nice see some familiar User Names.

Ron, re.: the Calif "Kinzli" forum : It's the same psychology of choosing "which party to go to" (or which bar to go to, when bar-hopping, etc...): It's the psychology of "crowds draw crowds".

That's why Ebay, for example, draws so-many users, even though another competing auction site has less fees, better layout, etc.... The same "crowds draw crowds" mentality.

Holy cow Tom! Adopt me! [emoji12]
Congrats to you all on seriously amazing, amazing, amazing, CA finds.

For what-it's-worth : One of the "mystery coins" just got Identified. It's Italian, and dates from 1808 to 1811-ish (exact year indiscernible). It's copper, and slightly smaller than a quarter.

I realize that 1808 to 1811 is "ho hum" for the east coast. But here in CA, that's old ! :sissyfight::laughing:

Back
Top Bottom