1940 Nickel

Splix76

3bxn8n1ttRwe5QJn6

I found this in a park about 30 miles south of Salt Lake City, UT. I believe this is my best find to date, but I don't know enough about coins to know its value or how to best clean it for maximum beauty without impacting value. Advice on how to handle a coin like this is appreciated.

nickel.jpg

**Edited**

I sorted out how to embed the attached image. Deleted post to web link of image.

Value: 50 cents at best. Clean it any way you like, it won't really take off any value because it already isn't valuable.

But.... that coin is a good indication that there may be silver in the area.

Thank you for the information. I'll clean it up and post updated pics once it shines.

Value: 50 cents at best. Clean it any way you like, it won't really take off any value because it already isn't valuable.

But.... that coin is a good indication that there may be silver in the area.

The park has been around since the 50's. There were other coins very near it with dates from the 80's, which makes me think the coin was dropped in the past 30 years vs. finding other silver in the area.

I do plan on hitting the park again soon.

That's the best looking old 1940 nickel I've ever seen come out of the ground! The ones I dig are orange or kinda black. The soil has been really kind to that oldie. Nice find. A few years later and you would have had yourself a silver war nickel.

Congratz...on your oldest plus a nice looking nickel.
You must have good dirt, unless I find one on top of the ground mine never come up this nice.

I suspect the area I found this was brought in as fill dirt in the 60's when the park was originally built. It digs easily and has far fewer rocks and other clutter in it that other areas. Likely dropped more recently or just landed in a luck spot when it fell.

Congrats on the older nickel! Nice find; perhaps you'll come across other old coins in the area, too. :D

Back
Top Bottom