First Coin with Equinox 600

Bill_Ace_350

Elite Member
First coin with new detector, wheatie!!!
can't see date yet needs cleaning.

About 4 inches deep, Park 2, rang up steady 32.

is that right for a penny?

Anyway, not a big deal, jus happy for the wheatie!

First coin with new detector, wheatie!!!
can't see date yet needs cleaning.

About 4 inches deep, Park 2, rang up steady 32.

is that right for a penny?

Anyway, not a big deal, jus happy for the wheatie!

Did you recheck the hole? 32 is high for a penny. Might have been another coin left.

^^^^

What he said.

32 for me is a quarter....but it could be a penny with some iron in the hole as well possibly.

Yep, 32 is in the quarter range. Congrats on the first coin with your nox.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

A good old wheaty is a great coin to start you out with the new nox. It seems it will be a learning experience for you too. Wheat pennies are notorious for reading high...sometimes. They seem to have a range from the low 20s to the low 30s; most being mid 20s. I've dug lots of wheat pennies that rang up at 28/29/30, but very few higher than 30. I thought I would find a silver quarter a few days ago, when I followed a "32" down about 5-6 inches to reveal a lone wheaty. I believe the high reading wheats sound a little different than a dime or quarter of the same number, but I will dig them anyway.
If you don't find anything else in that same spot, then you have experienced the wheat penny upgrade phenomenon.

Foragist: "wheat penny upgrade phenomenon" Congrats on the what penny. I have had this "Upgrade Phenomenon" happen to me several times. Don't know why it happens, but it ticks me off when it does. Happy to find a coin in the hole, just not what I was expecting with that high of a reading.

Dug 32 wheats in the last 2 hunts 1 rang up at 19 a few over 30 . It all depends what else is in or around the hole. One was jumping from the mid 20s to 34 dug the plug and the wheat was staring up at me so igrab it then swung over the hole before flipping the plug back and the nox was reading 32-34 . In the side of the hole was a 43 walker. So you should re check any holes that read high or any odd type reading . Good luck. HH

How was the jump from AT Pro to the Nox600?
I am enjoying the Pro but am really thinking about cashing in my clad and gold for it.

Congrats on your first wheatie, first of many I'm sure. One thing for certain sure, you will find a ton of coins with your new machine. I have read the comments and sadly yes the Equinox does, and for me most of the time show Wheaties in the 30s. I saw it referred to as a phenomena, I think its a glitch and a pain in the arse. Especially when your on a nice lawn and maybe only digging higher number targets. Memorials at 28-29 wheats 30-31-32. If you massage the signal most will drop and show a 22-23-24 in the numbers, but I've had solid high thirties two and three way repeatables produce a wheat. T
I'm currently hunting a site that gave a solid 39-40 with a wheat 9in. down. Clad dimes hit 25-26 Now I have dug 2 silver quarters there and both came in at 29, then numbers jumped up and down from 26 to 31. The clad quarters shallow and deep hit and held 30-31. Hell I got full ring pulltabs coming in 22-23. I know I'm beating a dead horse here, just venting a little. Good luck Mark

Last edited:
How was the jump from AT Pro to the Nox600?
I am enjoying the Pro but am really thinking about cashing in my clad and gold for it.

Jump is ok. the equinox isn't as complicated as I thought it might be, as far as configuring the options/modes.

need lots more time on before providing an opinion on which detector is the "better" detector.

I'm still digging every solid, repeatable signal, concentrating on the numbers and sound.

still need to recheck the hole!

Congrats on your first Nox coin! I've dug a lot of wheats that ring up in the low 30s. It's such a letdown when you think you have a silver and it turns out to be another wheat!:lol: It must have something to do with soil conditions or maybe a halo effect from the coin leaching into its immediate area or both? Whatever the case may be, it can be annoying! I don't recall ever having pennies ring higher than normal on any of my other machines.

Back
Top Bottom