Silver coin: Julia Domna AD160-AD217

Doug

Elite Member
Hopefully I can photograph the rest of my finds from the last 2 weeks which includes a mystery item today.

My thanks to a UK forum member for the ID on this silver coin.

Thanks for looking......Doug.

"Julia was a Syrian (Domna being her Syrian name) and was the daughter of the hereditary high priest Bassianus at Emesa (present-day Ḥimṣ) in Syria and elder sister of Julia Maesa. As the emperor’s wife, she received the titles of augusta (193) and “mother of the army camps” (195).

Domna gathered about her in Rome a group of philosophers and other intellectuals whose activities are best known through the writings of Philostratus.

After Severus’ death, the murderous rancour of her two sons, the joint emperors Caracalla and Geta, culminated in the assassination of Geta by Caracalla in her presence (212), an act she was helpless to prevent. When Caracalla (reigned 211–217) was on campaign, he left her in control of most of the civilian administration, with the title “mother of the Senate and of the fatherland.” On the news of his murder in 217 she is said to have starved herself to death, either voluntarily or on the orders of the new emperor, Macrinus."

Coin just out of the ground.
anVmh9c.jpg

Julia Domna Denarius
EZXnCrY.jpg

IVLIA AVGVSTA, draped bust right / MATER DEVM, Cybele, towered, enthroned left between two lions, leaning on drum and holding branch and sceptre
oZkXREM.jpg

Back
Top Bottom