• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Month Long Silver Slump Over. #34 FTY

Stiffwrists

Elite Member
Work has been hectic. Kids have been winding down the school year. I've only gotten out a few times the last few weeks, and when I did, I didn't find much. I didn't seem to be in sync with my machine. EMI, chatter, low patience, high frustration. Not enjoying myself. I'm not really sure what the deal was... I ordered a small 5x8 coil. When I unboxed it, that coil seemed sooooo tiny. I have been running the NEL Thunder recently. My hell, the 5x8 is small!! My interest was renewed. I just got home from a fun hunt at a church built in the 1930's. I have hit this place from all directions, with my stock coil and the Thunder. Last time I detected it I left without hitting any good signals. I headed out tonight around 10:30 pm with the 5x8. This coil is a lot of fun. It is stable as can be at full sensitivity. The separation of targets is phenomenal. It was dark, quiet, cool, I was one with my machine. I hit targets that had been eluding me. Had a great night! Slump is over. Deep 1943 D War Nickel, a few nice old wheats and some other random do-dads. I think one is an old door bell cover? Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• 20180603_014446_resized.jpg
    20180603_014446_resized.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 154
  • 20180603_014452_resized.jpg
    20180603_014452_resized.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 117
  • 20180603_014511_resized.jpg
    20180603_014511_resized.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 113
Awesome - gotta love war nickels. Congrats on breaking your silver drought.

I'm in the middle of one myself - hopefully I get some of your luck soon.

I have the 5x8" inch DD coil for my AT Pro and I love it - it gets around trees, rocks and roots easily, and it has great separation in trashy areas. I rarely use the bigger coil these days.

HH!

Great job breaking the silver slump, SW! And a cool coin to do it with - love those War Nickels! And I just realized...I don't think I've ever seen one with a D mint mark. All of mine have the Philly "P". Very cool! Looks like I have another bucket lister... :lol:

Yep, that 5x8 is fabulous on the Max! I remember thinking the same thing when mine arrived..."Holy cats, that'll fit in my back pocket!" Much smaller than I envisioned! I was genuinely worried about how long it was going to take to hunt a location with such a small coil - I'm already ridiculously slow with the stock and Thunder (sounds like we have the same coil inventory too). But although it does take me longer to cover the same amount of ground, the improved separation is well worth it in trashy areas. Plus it naturally stabilizes the machine a little more too in trashy/chatty ground - easier to ground balance accurately with the smaller footprint, and less chatty in tough ground since the coil encompasses a smaller volume of soil. I know I'm not getting as much depth as the bigger coils when I use the 5x8, but I'm not really noticing it in the field - I've never had occasion to dig a coin target any deeper than 6-8 inches (nor do I really want to dig any deeper than that!), and I still see those depths with the 5x8.

Anyways, congrats again on a nice hunt!

Great job breaking the silver slump, SW! And a cool coin to do it with - love those War Nickels! And I just realized...I don't think I've ever seen one with a D mint mark. All of mine have the Philly "P". Very cool! Looks like I have another bucket lister... :lol:

Yep, that 5x8 is fabulous on the Max! I remember thinking the same thing when mine arrived..."Holy cats, that'll fit in my back pocket!" Much smaller than I envisioned! I was genuinely worried about how long it was going to take to hunt a location with such a small coil - I'm already ridiculously slow with the stock and Thunder (sounds like we have the same coil inventory too). But although it does take me longer to cover the same amount of ground, the improved separation is well worth it in trashy areas. Plus it naturally stabilizes the machine a little more too in trashy/chatty ground - easier to ground balance accurately with the smaller footprint, and less chatty in tough ground since the coil encompasses a smaller volume of soil. I know I'm not getting as much depth as the bigger coils when I use the 5x8, but I'm not really noticing it in the field - I've never had occasion to dig a coin target any deeper than 6-8 inches (nor do I really want to dig any deeper than that!), and I still see those depths with the 5x8.

Anyways, congrats again on a nice hunt!

Thanks! I didnt realize that we had similar arsenals. I am excited to get some more hours on the 5x8.

Congrats on the War Nickel! How far down was it?

I'm not sure exactly. I had to dig down deeper than my initial plug. Maybe 6 inches or so. I knew I had a war nickel right away. They get this black crust on them in this kind of soil for some reason.

Back
Top Bottom