I Tried Out A New Search Coil On My Omega 8000 V6

beephead

Elite Member
I've been wanting to tryout the F44 stock 11 inch teardrop search coil on my Omega 8000 version 6 to see if I could gain any depth using the larger concentric search coil. I've been using the 10 inch elliptical concentric search coil on the Omega with good success. Bottom line, the 11 inch teardrop search coil is around 1 1/2+ inches deeper and handles EMI about the same.

The lone silver coin, a 1927 Mercury dime wasn't all that deep, but I did dig some wheat pennies that were in the 7+ inch range. Not bad for a pounded site. My only real deep target was around 10 inches deep, a brass compact. I was determined not to give up on finding out what was giving that good ID number and high audio tone. You just never know until you dig. It could have been some civil war relic worth some big bucks. I did find a Civil War buckle plate not too far from where I was detecting today.

Anyway, I don't normally do a lot of detecting in the summer months, so every silver coin that I find during these hot humid months is icing on the cake.

beephead

Attachments

• IMG_2283.jpg
    IMG_2283.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_2285.jpg
    IMG_2285.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_2286.jpg
    IMG_2286.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_2287.jpg
    IMG_2287.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 89
Nice hunt Beephead. Love to see those obsolete machines making some finds, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a bad hunt, that's an ugly coil though.lol
LOL It's ugly alright, but it covers a lot of ground fast for a concentric search coil

Nice hunt Beephead. Love to see those obsolete machines making some finds, lol

Thanks! Obsolete my butt! If it worked any better, all I'd have to do is open the car door and say fetch. LOL That sucker loves silver. Dave Johnson hit it out of the park with this one.

beephead

Nice finds there. The Omega 8000 is a great coin hunting machine with quite a few coil options. I got mine back in 2010 and did well with it when I first started out. Nice to see your still using yours. I gave mine to the wife for beach hunting (dry sand) and she loves it.

LOL It's ugly alright, but it covers a lot of ground fast for a concentric search coil

Thanks! Obsolete my butt! If it worked any better, all I'd have to do is open the car door and say fetch. LOL That sucker loves silver. Dave Johnson hit it out of the park with this one.

beephead

I know, just a jab at a certain detector, lol

Love your equipment specific posts, Beephead. Now I'm hoping to find a dirt cheap "obsolete" Omega 8000 V6 at a garage sale somewhere. Hey, it happens. Lots of people try detecting for a while, but give up for various reasons, and the wifey gets rid of their unused "junk" that's been taking up corner space for a few years.

"Omega 8000? What was he thinking? Maybe someone will give me five bucks for this"

OK, I'm a dreamer. Congrats on some more good finds!

Nice finds there. The Omega 8000 is a great coin hunting machine with quite a few coil options. I got mine back in 2010 and did well with it when I first started out. Nice to see your still using yours. I gave mine to the wife for beach hunting (dry sand) and she loves it.
Thanks! I've sold several, but afterwards I get seller's remorse and buy another one.

Love your equipment specific posts, Beephead. Now I'm hoping to find a dirt cheap "obsolete" Omega 8000 V6 at a garage sale somewhere. Hey, it happens. Lots of people try detecting for a while, but give up for various reasons, and the wifey gets rid of their unused "junk" that's been taking up corner space for a few years.

"Omega 8000? What was he thinking? Maybe someone will give me five bucks for this"

OK, I'm a dreamer. Congrats on some more good finds!

Thanks! You also may want to consider the V5 as well. It's exactly the same as the V6 except it doesn't have the digital serial number. I've had both. The V4 is good (some claim it's deeper), but you had better live out in the boonies because it doesn't handle EMI as well as the V5 & V6 do. Keep in mind a sensitivity setting of 70 is 100% sensitivity (power) without any gain.

On dime size targets with a good set of headphone I don't notice any significant advantage of using a higher setting than 70. One other thing, on my V4 the high tone audio wasn't as pronounced as it is on the V5 & V6 at a sensitivity setting of 70. That was my big gripe about the V4, if I turned down the sensitivity to help control the EMI chatter, the high audio tone would be so faint I could hardly hear it.

beephead

Back
Top Bottom