2011 Year end Totals of Old Nickels

goes4ever

Elite Member
This year I really tried hard to get gold.....and in doing so I found a lot of old nickels. I ended up with 34 buffalo, 14 V nickels and one shield nickel 1868. I dug two semi key buffalo nickels 1917-D and 1931-S

I did not find a single piece of gold this year, but hey there is always next year!!!!

11917-D.jpg

21931sbuffalo.jpg

31868shield.jpg

41868shieldrev.jpg

5-3.jpg

Very nice. I find that shield nickles are the hardest to find. I have 2 this year. You really did good!
I cant remember who but someone i hunt with said they were detecting with you this year. Cant remember if it was an Ohio guy or an indiana guy. Anyway they had good things to say about you.

Very nice. I find that shield nickles are the hardest to find. I have 2 this year. You really did good!
I cant remember who but someone i hunt with said they were detecting with you this year. Cant remember if it was an Ohio guy or an indiana guy. Anyway they had good things to say about you.
was it Joel S. he lives in Indiana

Those are some great old nickels! When you are finding that many old nickels you know you are running like one with your machine!

Nice bunch of nickels, although I suspect you would have traded some of them for some gold! Glad you dug them anyway. Congrats.

I haven't found too many old nicks, but the ones I've found don't look so great, especially the V's. Many of my older Indian cents look much better than the "newer" nickels. Must be the nickel content.

great job on the nickels .. bet you pulled a few pull tabs too !! Bet you find gold next year if you continue working that hard at it !!

Awesome finds! Love diggin' the nickel signals. Was wondering how you cleaned your nickels? I tried a Buffalo in boiling peroxide but it didn't come out as clean as I wanted it to. Good luck in 2012!
-RR

Awesome finds! Love diggin' the nickel signals. Was wondering how you cleaned your nickels? I tried a Buffalo in boiling peroxide but it didn't come out as clean as I wanted it to. Good luck in 2012!
-RR
on my website (in signature) I have cleaning methods for all different coins, this is how I clean nickels

Nickels are the hardest of all coins in my opinion to make look good, and I have tried tons of methods that I have read online. Unless you have a key date nickel, it is going to carry very little value, so if you want to make it look better for your display case or coin folder then here is what I do. I buy SOS pads at walmart the kind with soap right in them. SOS pads are basically just a super fine steel wool. I get the pad wet and rub the nickel under running water with the SOS pad. It removes the built up gunk that nickels get on them and removes most of the red oxidation that nickels always have. Now it is up to you how much you want to remove. The longer you scrub the more red you get rid of. I simply just rub it long enough to remove the gunk and to be able to see the details, date etc better. Then I dry the coin and apply the wax to it as in the method above, works wonders on nickels as well as copper coins. I have tried vinegar, ketchup, lime a way, etc….and all of those methods pitted my nickels and my method using the SOS pads does not. Experiement on some older Jefferson nickels that are red to see how you like the results.

on my website (in signature) I have cleaning methods for all different coins, this is how I clean nickels

Nickels are the hardest of all coins in my opinion to make look good, and I have tried tons of methods that I have read online. Unless you have a key date nickel, it is going to carry very little value, so if you want to make it look better for your display case or coin folder then here is what I do. I buy SOS pads at walmart the kind with soap right in them. SOS pads are basically just a super fine steel wool. I get the pad wet and rub the nickel under running water with the SOS pad. It removes the built up gunk that nickels get on them and removes most of the red oxidation that nickels always have. Now it is up to you how much you want to remove. The longer you scrub the more red you get rid of. I simply just rub it long enough to remove the gunk and to be able to see the details, date etc better. Then I dry the coin and apply the wax to it as in the method above, works wonders on nickels as well as copper coins. I have tried vinegar, ketchup, lime a way, etc….and all of those methods pitted my nickels and my method using the SOS pads does not. Experiement on some older Jefferson nickels that are red to see how you like the results.

Thanks, I'll give that a try!

I have over $23.00 dollars in nickles since I started keeping all my nickel finds since june or july 2011, and thats just from one area I hunt.

What's all this "End of Year" stuff? You still have two and a half weeks! :lol:

Congratulations on a phenomenal year!

With all the hunting you do (especially on private properties) I can't believe no gold rings turned up for you. Still you found some really nice older nickels. I really like the shield nickel.

Very cool

I wish I had your patience.
Sometimes I set discrim. a little under nickel, looking for buffaloes, but that usually lasts about 5 or 6 pulltabs & assorted other junk.
Maybe patience will come with time, :timer: I really want to find some buffalo and liberty nickels

Back
Top Bottom