Ace250 ?

SkiWhiz

Elite Member
Sorry for so many questions on the same detector but I am really trying to learn this machine well. Why is it that my Ace250 never really locks on a specific icon on the id readout. When I get a signal the display bounces all over - if I dig the signal it might be a dime maybe a penny but the readout can say something totally different. I have tried different sensitivity settings and same thing. Great machine though & great forum. Thanks in advance! Steve. P.S. Yes I have cleaned the coil cover to make sure there is nothing moving around in it.

Unfortunately with detectors that are considered starter detectors the "features" on them are in the lower end of performance. Even high end detectors sometimes have difficulty locking onto targets. The abilities are somewhat diminished in the lower priced ones. Try scanning from different angles. Also try bench testing with some targets scanning them flat and on different angles. If you're still getting a lot of bouncing around yo may have a problem.

Skiwhiz, There are a lot of factors for your detector to consider. If your getting mixed signals from your machine, you may be hunting in an area that is well populated with targets, good and bad. This will give you mixed and crossed signals. You have a good machine, very popular with starterouters. A paper clip or piece of gum wrapper next to a good target will do that to you. You are the most important part of the equation, you have to sort out the sounds. All the bells and whistles
you can buy won't do it for you. I hunt both land and water with 2 top end detectors. I look at nothing, just listen and dig...........Gil

I agree with Gil. Sound seems to be more effective than a visual display. I turn my icons off most of the time. I do rely on depth readings, and the VDI numbers on the display. I find more by sound than I do watching the screen.

Definately set up a test area that has no trash metal in it. If you cannot lock on a coin in a "clean" area, you have a problem. The ACE250 WILL lock on a coin that is not next to trash. Foil wreaks havoc on the ACE250, it will sound every notch on the board. This is common while hunting in the field.

I'm dealing with the same thing with my ACE 250. I work construction and we are doin a job where a old house used to be. 2 guys have found silve half dollars in this area. I brouhgt my detector to work and searched around after work. Man did I ever have a time. There is ALOT of trash in that area and also I'm guessing that the soil is HIGHLY mineralized there too. after 2 hours (8pm) I decided to head to the house with nothin to show except for dirty jeans and a couple of cuts from some trash a piece of pottery. But on a brighter note about a week ago I found a penny in my yard! :lol:

96cummins

You'll find that target ID accuracey diminishes in relation to depth, which might be a factor at least some of the time.
If your mostly into coin shooting for solitary coins, the main thing will be a good repeatable signal and a good pinpoint, nevermind the id really.
As they get deeper, even the repeatable signals will be fewer in between, but you always want a good coin sized pinpoint. Even these [good pinpoints] can be reduced to near nothing as the depth limits of the 250 are approached.
Best thing to do, if you have the time to work over an area repeatedly, is to pick off the easy ones first [ones with steady id, good pinpoint, preferably mid depth range], then after those hits start diminishing, start digging the iffy ones.

What do you have the sensitivity set on ? It may need turning down.
Also try some air tests with good solid objects, the signal shouldn't bounce around then.

Lots of good advice but be sure when your taking an ID reading you are directly on top of the target. And be sure to narrow your swing. When I get a hit I sweep over the target narrowing down the sweep each time until the machine is only moving about 2" either way over it, then take an ID reading. This will help keep other targets out of the ID range.

Back
Top Bottom