lcd screen,help or hindrance?

still sussing the computer out lol only got it a few weeks
ago :roll:anyway ldc what?tee hee hee

they can be a hinderance too...i have noticed that alot of people who have a machine with a screen spend too much time analysing it when they get a signal..without one if you get a good 2 way signal you dig it straight away...they do have there uses of course but it depends on the operator i think

Terry 55 said:
I like them for that little bit of extra information but I don't dig soley based on what it tells me.

Same with me.

It also lets you know you have some power left in the batteries :yes:

Sometimes the tones sound the same from trash vs. good targets. I look at the numbers to get a profile as well as depth. Bouncing numbers mean trash.

Marmotte, I'm glad you didn't title this thread "LCD Display......"
It really annoys me when people do that, even worse when it's written in an official publication or advert. :mad:

Another one that gets me going, is "PIN Number" :mad:

Like most features, while using it properly it gives an advantage over those without. Used improperly and it does more harm than good.

well as an example...a hammered penny in the UK usually reads in the 20s on a DFX/XLT...however not always so therefore what the numbers are telling you isnt always correct...theres no substitute for the ear and the little differences from one signal to another...its not that i dont think they have a use as i owned an XLT myself and have a DFX as a backup machine now just that i am from the old school when i started detecting 30 years ago and we never had LCD screens then forcing you to learn the differences in tone...

I do find the display on my Hawkeye, an advantage, especially as it isn't a multi tone machine. If it's a steady ID, I know it's worth digging. I don't walk along watching it all the time though. It's only an aid.

the machines i used 30 years ago were single tone machines...you just had to listen for the subtle differences in the signal and after a short time it was easy..of course you could never be 100% certain but most of the time you got it right

Back
Top Bottom