• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

What is this symbol from a topo map?

k2gleaner

Elite Member
I'm looking at an old topo map. I'm seeing a number of these on the map here and there. My first guess is cemetery but this is from a rural area and the area covered by the symbol represents about 32 acres! There are no known cemeteries there.

topo symbol cross on side.JPG

... the area covered by the symbol represents about 32 acres! There are no known cemeteries there....

I've actually seen on one topographic marker, that a single tombstone in the middle of nowhere (albeit a bit elaborate, like a spire-marker) got one of those cemetery topo. map markers. And was not an entire cemetery, in the sense of the word of how we envision "cemetery" (ie.: rows and rows of markers, graves, etc....)

And as for the size (ie.: 32 acres if you size out that rectangle), that wasn't necessarily meant to depict size. Just as in : Black dots representing structures, are irrespective of the actual size of the barn or house or whatever. All the black dots are the same size, despite actual size of structure. So too for their cemetery (or grave(s)) marker: Just a uniform indication, with no relation to actual size of said area.

...Shows as a Small Cemetery ...

I did look up a number of different topo-symbol information and this was the best one for sure. It just seems odd that it's so large for a ruuuuurrrraaalll area with few people around. But hey, it is what it is.

...just a uniform indication, with no relation to actual size of said area.

That's certainly what I was guessing but there are no other symbols so disproportionately sized if you know what I mean. Serious. that symbol represents 32 acres roughly.

....That's certainly what I was guessing but there are no other symbols so disproportionately sized ....

Well consider that: We know that all structures (regardless of their actual size) are depticted as a tiny black square. Right ? Ok then, assume for the moment that they had used THAT sized "tiny square", and tried to draw a cross in it.

As you can tell, the box, for starters, would have to be rectangular, not square, since a cross is slightly longer than it is wider. And to even be able to SEE a cross in a box (unless you're using a high powered magnifier) the symbol has to be a tad larger.

Thus, just like structures, they use a one-size-fits-all symbol, regardless of size of graveyard or house/structure.

It's a cemetary. There are many of those on the topo maps for my area and every one I go to is an old graveyard. Some are still active and some are in the woods and long since forgotten about.

Back
Top Bottom