18+ Wheat Pennies Before Hitting Paydirt

beephead

Elite Member
I went detecting day before yesterday and found 7 wheat pennies, but no silver. That's a strange feeling for me, especially being at good sites and working my butt off! Today I found 11 wheat pennies before scoring a Mercury dime near the base of a pecan tree. What a relief!

As I was finishing up covering the yard that I was detecting, the next door neighbor came out to see why his dog was barking so much. I walk over to the chain link fence and made friends with the dog and owner. The owner asked me what I was doing and I told him. Then said, would I like to do his yard? Of course I said yes. He was a young kid getting a government paid college education because he had been recruited by the Air Force to be a pilot. I could tell that he was a really smart kid and had a bright future ahead of him.

Anyhow, I didn't do so well in his yard either, but I did manage to find a Rosie dime, a few wheat pennies (13 out of both yards) and some clad coins. My luck is bound to change for the better here soon. I just have to keep swinging away.

On my way home I spotted a clean-up crew cleaning out a 1940's home. I stopped and talked with them and found out that it was a bank repo and the company that they worked for were being paid to fix it up for the bank. The head guy didn't see any problem with me detecting it so I'll likely be hitting it tomorrow or the next day. It a large corner lot on a hill and they've got the grass cut short and all the leaves raked. It's going to be super easy to detect, except for the slope, but I always find good stuff on sloping yards!

beephead

Attachments

• IMG_0300.jpg
    IMG_0300.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 636
  • IMG_0301.jpg
    IMG_0301.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 651
  • IMG_0302.jpg
    IMG_0302.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 630
  • IMG_0303.jpg
    IMG_0303.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 619
  • IMG_0304.jpg
    IMG_0304.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 618
  • IMG_0305.jpg
    IMG_0305.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 609
  • IMG_0306.jpg
    IMG_0306.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 590
Last edited:
Nice!!! Good luck on the next permission. Reminds me of a yard I hunted last fall found 36 wheats and only one merc!

I'm am trying to think of a day i have pulled a lot of wheats ..
maybe 12 . Going after 18 in one day is pretty crazy .

Congrats on the silver Beephead .
Another great report .
,Dew

I Love It When People Find Good Places, And Sweet People. This Makes Our Work Easier When We Have Ask:D

Congrats on the great finds !

And yes, I agree ... from what I've seen over the years sloped areas do tend to give up good finds more often than not.
I've been to a lot of sites that I know have been hunted by others before I got there and I've still made some great finds on the steeper ground.
I really believe that most people are just to lazy to hunt these areas !

At least someone is swinging....We got about a foot of snow last night. I just got through uncovering my truck so I can get to work later today. I'm guessing it will be closing on March before we get to swing around here.

MSN weather shows 13 February high at 38....everything is under 30 till then.

On the positive side, it is sunny outside right now, the negative is...it's only 7* at this time.

HDD

Congrats on the great finds !

And yes, I agree ... from what I've seen over the years sloped areas do tend to give up good finds more often than not.
I've been to a lot of sites that I know have been hunted by others before I got there and I've still made some great finds on the steeper ground.
I really believe that most people are just to lazy to hunt these areas !

I've always liked hunting slopes and I've found lots of good stuff on them. I think there are several reasons -
First, people fall down on sloping ground and lose stuff. One of the best rings I've ever found was a big gold (and old) Knights of Columbus ring on a pretty steep hillside beside the KoC building. I suspect someone fell down the hill and lost his ring.
Second, kids roll or slide down hills, or just sit on the slope (especially if there is tree shade there).
Third, It seems that things don't 'sink' as fast on slopes. Could be that new dirt doesn't accumulate as fast or washes away, or some such.
One of the best spots I ever detected was on a little slope behind where a pool hall/speak-easy had been located in the first couple of decades of the 20th century. Lots of changed was dropped, and I found a bunch of Three Merry Widows tins - hmmmm.... :)

Nice digs!!! I'd take that many wheats, even without a couple nice silvers..... ;)

Thanks Everyone! Thankfully we've been having some really good weather where I'm located. I'm just too sore to take full advantage of it. Also I'm running out of good sites to detect for silver coins. I need to start thinking outside of the box to find some new sites to detect.

beephead

Good Job Beep, way to stay after it. I like finding wheaties and ANYTIME I find silver is a good day for me. Congratulations.

Nice score. I average 12 wheats to 1 silver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great finds.I am just a novice and have only found clad.I have permission to detect a 100 year old house site that has already been detected once, do you think there may be any good targets left?

Great finds.I am just a novice and have only found clad.I have permission to detect a 100 year old house site that has already been detected once, do you think there may be any good targets left?

Thanks! I find stuff behind myself all the time, so I figure a site is never really hunted out. Using a different detector and search coil changes things up. You'll never know if there's anything left or not until you swing your search coil over the site. It's fun finding stuff at sites that have been hit hard.

beephead

Back
Top Bottom