Whites or Garrett?

Jason

Elite Member
This spring I want to get either the Whites Surf Pro PI or the Garrett Sea Hunter II. What is your opinion on these? My activities will include surf wading and diving to 30-40 feet. Most of this will be fresh water, and some salt. I would also like to use it on dry beach, and land.

Actually I would look at the White's Beachunter ID.This is a better fresh water detector than the PI and I beleive for the money better than the Seahunter. My experience with them shows that the little added features of the Beachunter and its better performance makes it the best choice for you .Let me know if you need any more help.

Thanks for the advice. What I have read leads me to believe that the Beach Hunter won't go under water though. Is this true. I won't be searching for the Titanic or anything, just going as deep as my hookah will allow. It has a 100' line, but I rarely go more than 20ft.

I have a Beach hunter ID for sale

If you are interested.
Very good condition
thanks
John

I too am looking to buy either the Whites Surf PI or the Beachhunter ID.

I'm looking to do mostly saltwater and dry land with the occasional trip to a freshwater beach.

I know there is no "perfect" all around detector (except from what I've read the Excalibur comes close) but I need something that will cover me at home on dry land hunts and the couple of saltwater beach trips I take anually.

I'm trying to break into the hobby and want to spend around $800 or less on "one" detector, I'm not planning on buying seperate detectors for each type of hunting. Being new to the hunt, PI and VLF machines are a toss up with me, a PI machine will have me digging up everything I run across but I'll probably be doing that anyway with a VLF just because I wouldn't be accustomed to picking out sounds right off the bat.

I've read around that VLF is not good in salt water, is this true?

From the reviews I've read about these two machines (Lost Treasure) it seems they avoid talking much about saltwater reaction and seem to always stick to freshwater. They also avoid telling you how they are on just dry land (I know, these are water machines), except the PI they talk about performs ok in this situation. They miss discussing the two things I'm interested in doing, lol! This leads me to believe, either, they are telling the truth that it's the wrong time of year to use the machine they are reviewing or they know it doesn't perform well in a certain situation and choose to not cover it in the review.

I believe a couple of you have PI machines, am I correct? Could you shed some light on the performance on land and saltwater? That would be very helpful. And hey, if you own a Beachhunter...

And ahead of time I apologize for the extensive post.

If you are only going to the salt water or even the fresh water sparingly , then I would get a land detector. The Soveriegn GT is a great all around detector that can be used in all three environments. I would never get a PI detector for the land. VLF detectors mostly perform fine at saltwater beaches but you have to get a mid to upper detector with better capabilities. The Excalibur is a VLF and one of the best. The Sov GT comes in under your 800.00 price. Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Would the Beachhunter ID be more suitable for my needs? I want a detector I can get wet regardless, rain, ocean spray, etc...

Even though the CZ20 by fisher is over my price range, would it be a good option or have they already discontinued this model...may find it used.

I'm looking at other options rather than just forking out the bucks for the more popular brand....Excalibur.

I was hoping the Whites PI would be good enough for land too, but from what you tell me... no way, so I will continue my search, thank you.

You could use the Beachunter on land if you so desire. It can also get wet. The CZ20 was discontinued.

Ok, thanks.

I visited Fisher's website to see if there was an explanation for why they discontinued such a great machine but found none. Thinking about emailing them and asking, unless you might clear that up for me...?

So that leaves them with the 1280x, any thoughts on this machine? I've read limited reviews and all I could get from them is that it is great but just responds poorly in saltwater movement.

Thanks again, sorry to ask so many questions, I'm just hunting all the info I can contain...hehe.

Whites beach hunter,Fisher1280x,Tesoro Tigershark.
All 3 machines look to meet your requirments.Which is best?
I have no idea!

Re: if u are a pi kinda guy and it seems u are - take a rea

Max-VaBeach-Va said:
long look at the detector pro H.H. PI

super deep and priced right

i am excal. kinda guy myself.

What is an Excal? :D

Ok, thanks everyone, sorry to get off topic jason.

I think I'm going to research the Fisher Aquanaut a little further...I wish the CZ20 was still being made, for I was seriously considering making the leap up a notch.

What I've read on the Aquanaut and why I'm considering this machine:

1. Waterproof

2. Great for land/freshwater and in some peoples opinions saltwater, I'm sure it'll be good enough for me in saltwater anyways

3. Discriminate

4. Only takes 4 AA's for hours(days) of use

5. Depth

6. Decent Price

7. I like the old fashioned look of the machine, the brown housing

8. The name "Aquanaut" just sounds cool, "hey man, I got an aquanaut"

9. Been in production since I believe 1985, so that's gotta tell you somethin'

10. *ahem* Lifetime Warranty...

Need I say more?

Again, my information comes from only what I've read by some of you and reviews, I have no personal experience with the machine so please feel free to point the (my) faults out.

The main thing, if it's bad in saltwater and I mean really bad (unbearable) please let me know before I make a mistake.

Thanks again.

fisher 1280 X

gabe

u also need to consider the detector pro line of detectors

there diver and wader model is a fisher 1280X - reboxed and modified.

they made is smaller and added to the heaphones, used 9volt. batteries now...............whole detector is inside the headphones.................but it is a fisher 1280X

Re: fisher 1280 X

Max-VaBeach-Va said:
gabe

u also need to consider the detector pro line of detectors

there diver and wader model is a fisher 1280X - reboxed and modified.

they made is smaller and added to the heaphones, used 9volt. batteries now...............whole detector is inside the headphones.................but it is a fisher 1280X

I don't really understand what you are trying to say...sorry. Anyone else maybe help me understand this? :?:

And I was incorrect on how many batteries it takes, it takes 8 AA's instead of 4. I've been reading so many spec sheets of detectors lately that I got mixed up.

Thanks. You all are very informative and helpful.

Mr Bill

Gabe
click on the banner at the top..............Mr Bill and look at the detector pro wader or diver.....................both are fisher 1280X;s

they bought the use of the 1280X and modified.................but it is a fisher 1280X - kinda like a the million dollar man "we can make us better, faster, stronger, etc"

it is a cool unit and light.............has new features now.

Gabe's metal detector choice

Hi Gabe,
If you want dry and salt water capability, at 800 dollars there is nothing, and I mean nothing to beat a Minelab Sovereign. I've tried on: one the beach, it is irreproachable (use it on "auto"). Inland, it's a fabulous machine. The restrictions are battery consumption is very high, pinpointing is pretty vague, and sensitivity to very small targets is not too hot, 'though if you're not hunting for very small antique stuff (and you won't be considering where you live ;-) that's not a problem. The Great Drawback is that this machine has a very slow recovery sped, eg, it will ignore, if you're discriminating iron or other maetals, other targets next to the trash. Need's a slow sweep. Even not using discrimination, if you're in the all metal mode, the recovery speed is a litle sluggish. Apart from that, it's by far the best all round machine ever for your money. The only reason I haven't bought one myself for beach hunting is that I've already got more machines than I can afford, and I couldn't pay the alimony if I did buy one and my wife found out.

Nick

sovereign

i agree with nick....................the sovereign is very very good beach machine...........add S12 coil from sun-ray...........D E A T H

B U T I DO NOT AGREE WITH AUTO................FORGET IT, I KNOW OF KNOW ONE ON THIS SIDE OF THE POND THAT HUNTS IN AUTO.

Back
Top Bottom