Depth/Size of Object signal type?

Vermonster

Elite Member
Okay, getting used to the sound of the tones with my Bounty Hunter IV, but almost everything I am finding is 4-ish inches down, no deeper. All the coin tones are nice and loud/strong though. However, I have had a few faint/small area tones, and didn't find the object, so I am curious.

If the item is deeper, will the quality (Sharpness) still be there, and will it just be lower tone volume wise, or both? Also, with a standard coin, going back and forth over it, a normal signal covers about the width of the coil, from end to end (6 inches +/-), and I dig dead center. Now say I get a signal that only omits a tone in one or two waves of the coil, maybe only 1-2 inches long. Is that a characteristic of a smaller object, a deeper object, both, or neither?

Thanks for any info. Finding lots of clad here and there, and I really haven't spent more than an hour at a time doing it, but the kids have always been with me. Can't wait to get out for 4-5 hours one day.

Now say I get a signal that only omits a tone in one or two waves of the coil, maybe only 1-2 inches long. Is that a characteristic of a smaller object, a deeper object, both, or neither?

Could be either. Usually a deeper coin will have a very small profile. If it's on the edge of the detectors capability it'll be very small and maybe an iffy signal. Of course there are trash targets and very small targets that will mimic those signals too. The small targets tend to be shallow and after flipping the plug over it'll disappear as the depth of the plug is now blocking the detectors capability to detect the item. Those are the frustrating ones and can trick the more expensive machines as well.

Heres is a rough picture of how your detector's concentric coil is viewing items it passes over. FWIW. Personally, I view the detection field as more cone shape than basket, but that's just my personal opinion.

Attachments

• concentric coil.jpg
    concentric coil.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 166
An additional thought I'll add, although the Track IV does not posses the proportional audio to indicate the depth of a target, there is a noticeable change most of the time on shallow vs. deeper coins. It's most noticeable between coins that are on the surface and coins that are 3"-4" deep. As you've probably experienced, the surface coins will blast your ears, but the deeper ones will be more of a normal consistent tone. This might just be due to the fact that they're not in the detection field for as long, but one does get conditioned to identifying surface coins vs. buried pretty quick and the smaller the target area is usually a good indication of a deeper buried coin. My rule of thumb was that if I had a good coin signal in both swing directions (90 degree sweeps) and the the target area was small, then I had a deeper buried coin that had the promise of silver…but not all deep buried coins are old. It just depends on the area and the soil conditions. Hope that helps.

Thanks Bentrod. Makes total sense, especially looking at the diagram. So, Dig the small faint ones too...... :yes:

Back
Top Bottom