XTERRA 705 signals.

Chipk

Elite Member
Am trying to learn my 705. Today I was hunting in a very trashy area with the stock coil. I would get very solid signals (40-42-46 or 32-34-36). I would move the coil and hit the pinpointer and the signals changed dramatically (-4 8 28 46).

When I dug there would be nothing there. Nothing.

Suggestions?

Sounds like one or more possibilities.
Could be sweeping too fast.
Could be SENS set too high.
Could be that you're catching just the edge or corner of a piece of iron.
Could be multiple target metals under the coil at the same time.

I suggest slowing down first. You might try actually seeing just how slow you can go and still get a response. It's not that the machine reset speed is slow, but if there are multiple objects being detected going slow helps to separate and lock an ID. If you're just catching the edge or corner of a junk object, slowing down will allow you to recognize that the target isn't where or what you think it is. And IDs that jump around too much won't be coins. If it jumps more than one ID notch in either direction it's likely junk.
If that doesn't help, or doesn't help enough, turn down the SENS a bit. You won't lose much in the way of depth until you're down under 18 or so.
Don't chase chirps! Until you learn what coins sound like you'll just frustrate yourself unnecessarily. Focus on signals that are solid even when you turn 90°. And pinpoint the same way.....locate from two different positions around the target. Do not worry about what the ID says in pinpoint unless it gives negative values every time over a target.

You didn't say which coil you're using, but a DD and/or a smaller coil might be in order, especially if trash density is high.

I just got a new digital video camera, and I'm planning to start making some videos that will address some of what I'm describing in the not too distant future.

@ChipK I went to a park this evening using the 6" coil for the first time. It was much much easier to distinguish multiple targets.

I hunted a park a few days ago that I have hunted many times, this day I went to places there that I never got any good signals from, low and behold I dug these signals and I was finding many different coins in the same hole. These coins were on top of each other and grouped together, I was shocked to find penny's, quarters, and dimes and nickles so close together. And to think I had passed this up long ago. :?:
I hope you enjoy your 705 because I sure enjoy mine, it used to be my main detector now it is my back up that I use for quick hunts to clean out an area faster. HH

Chipk, Its my first week and just a couple hunts with my 705. These guys here in this forum have saved me so much time and frustration that I may have experienced soley on my own. Only been out twice and a few hrs per time. I have the 5×10 HF and the Digger 6" LF. I've only used the LF 3khz and quickly learned how to seperate a penny out of trash. My VDI #s were all over from the negative to all the way up. When that's happening I try to hover right over the high numbers and with a relatively slow swing speed I do the DD wiggle, a 1.5 to 4 inch sweep side to side and try to get the high number to repeat. I walk all around it doing that and when the coin size number repeats like the 34 I got the other day in the middle of numbers all over I was able to cut lincolns out of nails and foil and other trash. I have fun doing that. Shortly after I got a 20 and 44 on one sweep. Did the little DD 1.5" to 2" sweep over the 44 and got just a clean reapeating 44 . Then over the 20 and did the same. Just 20 with a mid tone, over and over. Dug a clad quarter and a nickel right next to each other. Anyway I'm new with this 705 and think I'm doing pretty good with, in my big ole hoghead anyway! GL,,,and HH

To me it sounds like your swing the coil to fast when it is trashy areas it's better to have a DD coil

Back
Top Bottom