Question for the Ace 250 user's

SkiWhiz

Elite Member
Hi all ordered a Garrett Ace 250 from TonyinCt (nice fella by the way) should get it this week. To make a long story short- I am a dairy farmer in upstate New York & one of the salesmen that comes around selling farming stuff heard me telling my brother about the detector I am getting. He ask me if a detector could find gold, I said yes why? He said that about 20 years ago his father lost his wedding band. I said do you know about where it is, he answered yes - he lost in his woodshed. The woodshed was a12'x12' shack and no longer is there.But he knows exactly where it was. The shed had no floor only ground.My question is what settings should I use on the Ace 250 to search for ring? Don't think the ground is mineralized up here,not sure about the trash but shouldn't be too much I wouldn't think being just a woodshed. Being only a 12'x12' area I am thinking there is a good possibility of finding the ring. Thanks and sorry for the long post! Steve.

To be honest, with only an area 12 x 12, I wouldn't have thought it would matter much, which mode you used.

Jewelry mode should just knock out any iron though.

Hope you find the ring :yes:

Jewlery mode would be the best. In an old shed I would expect to find ALOT of iron junk-nails, screws etc...that were dropped in the years it was used. You may also find that you will want to notch out foil as well. Gold should hit higher than both of those metals. You wont want to listen to the detector sing the "all metal song" in an old workshed :lol:

There is one thing to remember though; the ring may be hiding under a nail so cleaing the area of junk may be to your advantage. You will have a better assessment of this once you start.

Other than that, I think you have a decent shot of finding the ring

user18 said:
Finding a gold ring among a lot of iron trash might be a challenge (even in a relatively small area) for a first-time hunt. But just keep at it. Your problem is likely to be that the ring is probably buried near (or below, or directly on top of) some iron that may confuse (or completely obliterate) the tone you want to hear. I would guess it will read (probably round) pulltab or nickel, but it really depends on the ring. Good luck!
Would it be wise to discriminate out iron? This is my first Ace250 detector but I have been detecting for about 12 years with a Garrett Freedom Ace Plus/Fisher 1225X/Tesoro Silver uMax/a Whites' something or other (didn't have it very long). Thanks for all your replies! Steve.

Would it be wise to discriminate out iron? This is my first Ace250 detector but I have been detecting for about 12 years with a Garrett Freedom Ace Plus/Fisher 1225X/Tesoro Silver uMax/a Whites' something or other (didn't have it very long). Thanks for all your replies! Steve.

It probably wont help with the ACE 250. It will still read iron it jsut wont give you a tone. It will still mask another metal.

I have had gold rings ring up as nickels, dimes, foil and pulltabs ... So you might want to start your search by notching out everything except these. I think I've had one or two ring up as pennies also. Not very common, but could happen.
Basicially notch out everything under a nickel, then over a dime, then clean up and get rid of any scrap metal in sight.
Thats what I would do.
Swing slow, overlap, dig everything that produces a repeatable signal.
Senstivity shouldn't matter all that much since its likely not very deep. 3/4 or so should do, easily.
If that failed, I would then try again, with even slower and more over lapping sweeps, opposite of what you just did [ie north to south instead of east to west].
If that failed, I would turn up the sensitivity, go to jewelry mode, sweep slower still, and dig any signal that would pinpoint.
If that failed, I'd try the same once more, after which I'd be convinced that there is no gold ring to be found there within 8 inches of the surface.

Back
Top Bottom