Were the older AT Pros Deeper

Henry2

This is more of a question to those who had the early production AT Pros when they 1st came out. I picked up mine early when they came out and was pretty impressed with it, about a year later it went nuts on me and I had to send it in, when I got it back I seemed to have lost quite a bit of depth. I can still hit targets pretty far down but it seems I have to go a lot slower to hit on those targets. Heard rumors they changed something in the electronics so it would run more stable but at the cost of depth, not sure if this is true or not.:no:

Maybe get ahold of a dealer for that question?

Sent from my SPH-M840 using Tapatalk

I recall another thread on here not long ago mentioning this same thing.

It's completely possible that they re-tuned the electronics to be more stable at the expense of some depth. You have to believe that most folks would prefer a more stable machine.

Papa

I believe they ran hotter and achieved more depth. I had two AT Pros. An early one that I sold to a friend of mine. And one last Summer. The second one I got for mainly dry sand hunting at the beach. But it had no depth to it at all. A real dog and a major disappointment. My friend still has his and he gets decent depth with it. I have quite a few different models of detectors through the years. The AT Pro is the only model that I can remember that I could not make unstable with too much sensitivity. I could max it out 95% of the time and it always left me wanting more. One of the best detectors in heavy iron, but just lousy on depth. JMHO.

I believe they ran hotter and achieved more depth. I had two AT Pros. An early one that I sold to a friend of mine. And one last Summer. The second one I got for mainly dry sand hunting at the beach. But it had no depth to it at all. A real dog and a major disappointment. My friend still has his and he gets decent depth with it. I have quite a few different models of detectors through the years. The AT Pro is the only model that I can remember that I could not make unstable with too much sensitivity. I could max it out 95% of the time and it always left me wanting more. One of the best detectors in heavy iron, but just lousy on depth. JMHO.

Whats your favorite? And why?

This is more of a question to those who had the early production AT Pros when they 1st came out. I picked up mine early when they came out and was pretty impressed with it, about a year later it went nuts on me and I had to send it in, when I got it back I seemed to have lost quite a bit of depth. I can still hit targets pretty far down but it seems I have to go a lot slower to hit on those targets. Heard rumors they changed something in the electronics so it would run more stable but at the cost of depth, not sure if this is true or not.:no:

Let me think...

Attachments

• can-of-worms.jpg
    can-of-worms.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 234
I recall reading that many early AT-Pro models had falsing problems (maybe related to running hotter). That problem was fixed and maybe the detectors produced after this do not seem to get as deep. GL and HH. Matt

I recall another thread on here not long ago mentioning this same thing.

It's completely possible that they re-tuned the electronics to be more stable at the expense of some depth. You have to believe that most folks would prefer a more stable machine.

Papa

Really? Performance vs stability? I'm a big boy. Isn't that up to me to decide for myself? It is after all, my $$$ spent for it, is it not?
You are actually saying it isn't as advertised? Or maybe, it is as advertised...a "hot" running machine most people can't handle or don't know how to handle? Either/or or both? Maybe I lost it in translation...

Whats your favorite? And why?

Personally I like the Multi Frequency machines from Minelab. BBS and FBS. I can hunt dirt or salt water beaches with them. Up until now I would avoid iron saturated sites with them because of the slow recovery. But the CTX holds it's own in the iron very well. As I stated in my first post the AT Pro is really good in the iron. And the audio sure sings out when you hit a conductive target. But the AT series is not as deep as I want or need to go. What Garrett needs to do is come out with a multi frequency AT detector that has more gain in the adjustment. The AT Pro Multi Detector! Of course I would also like better balance and a larger VDI. And sell it for 850.00.

Really? Performance vs stability? I'm a big boy. Isn't that up to me to decide for myself? It is after all, my $$$ spent for it, is it not?
You are actually saying it isn't as advertised? Or maybe, it is as advertised...a "hot" running machine most people can't handle or don't know how to handle? Either/or or both? Maybe I lost it in translation...

I'm saying that putting out a batch of machines that many will find objectionable from a usability standpoint and end up returning them is not a good business strategy. I doubt that they shaved a lot of depth if that's in fact true. We are just surmising what Garrett did and what the end results were.

If someone has an older and newer one to compare side by side, then maybe the question will be answered definitively.

While you may want the ability to run it so hot it never shuts up, the masses may think otherwise.

Papa

I'm saying that putting out a batch of machines that many will find objectionable from a usability standpoint and end up returning them is not a good business strategy. I doubt that they shaved a lot of depth if that's in fact true.

Papa

Umm not to beat a dead horse but isn't that what garret has done with the pro pointer?

Chris W.

I'm on my 3rd AT Pro, first one was when the first came out and some had the coil false'ing issue, 2nd had cam locks but was older connectors, the one I have now is the newest and I believe the deepest of them all.

I'm on my 3rd AT Pro, first one was when the first came out and some had the coil false'ing issue, 2nd had cam locks but was older connectors, the one I have now is the newest and I believe the deepest of them all.

How do you arrive at that? Reason being is I want one but want to make sure it is right for me. I have a 350 but wondering if I should move forward or buy a good pulse machine?

[

If someone has an older and newer one to compare side by side, then maybe the question will be answered definitively.

While you may want the ability to run it so hot it never shuts up, the masses may think otherwise.

Papa[/QUOTE]

"Maybe"? and "the masses may may think otherwise"? Surely you jest. Henry2 has a viable concern "...seemed to have lost quite a bit of depth. I can still hit targets pretty far down but it seems I have to go a lot slower to hit on those targets." It isn't up for a popular vote or opinion or the "the survey says..." Way too much documentation still in the archives. Did not you notice can of worms??? Sorry Henry2 the vote came 20 to 15 against you. It's a figment of your imagination...it's "normal"..."tape the coil wire tightly"..."no one else complains of that issue". As I posted somewhere else...[I was told that there is little information available from manufacturers on the technical operation of detectors. No big deal, right? What is the recovery speed and recovery delay for the AT Pro? How can and when does ground balance affect "wrap"? To what degree? Some of the minor questions and little details that go answered and ignored. I'm going to rely on whom for the answers to technical questions? My kid brother says each must find their own way. He got that one right. You end up with a majority of detector users having a wrong impression of how it all works. The Owners Manual holds the key. It will point you in the right direction. "You want the truth - then you have to invest your time, and yes your own dollars, in finding out the answers. Trust in others to only point the way - but no more." ]

Back
Top Bottom