Any fellow detectorists in or near Enfield Connecticut?

zman0930

I'm trying to get info on the laws/permission requirements for detecting at schools and playgrounds in town. Town Hall not particularly helpful.:?:

....Town Hall not particularly helpful.:?:

Can you expand a little on what you mean by "Town Hall was not helpful". How did you phrase the question ?

And isn't the muni-code & their park rules for Enfield available on-line somewhere ? (like, do they have a website with links to such ?)

And if the muni-codes and park rules are NOT available on-line, then the only question that would need to be asked at town hall is : "Hello. Where are the park rules and muni-ordinances listed for public viewing ?" They should be able to direct you to where it exists in written form. Eg.: a link, or in binder form behind the desk or at the library, etc....

If you see nothing in there that says "No md'ing", then presto, it's not prohibited.

If they try to tell you "what is it that you needed to know ?", you repeat the question and say : "To know where the public can see the muni-codes and park rules in printed / reading form".

There need not be express allowance for this. Eg.: a law or rule that says "MD'ing allowed". Instead, if it's not dis-allowed, the presto, it's not dis-allowed.

If you asked "Hi can I metal detect ?", then sure, they might not be helpful. Because perhaps someone will conjur up images of geeks with shovels. Or wonder if that needs a parade permit. Or decide it violates the "harvest & remove" statutues. Don't swat hornet's nests. Look up laws/rules for yourself.

Might as well store your old cars on their property too..

Also setup a community drag racing event in their parking lot..

Create artistic topiary on all of the bushes there..

Sell all of the lighting fixtures for your own profit..

I bet these things aren't specifically prohibited in the code either so PRESTO IT'S ALLOWED RIGHT?!?!?!

Might as well store your old cars on their property too..

Also setup a community drag racing event in their parking lot..

Create artistic topiary on all of the bushes there..

Sell all of the lighting fixtures for your own profit..

I bet these things aren't specifically prohibited in the code either so PRESTO IT'S ALLOWED RIGHT?!?!?!

Think about the inherent premises inferred in your post. It is easy to envision the inherent harm in a drag-race in a parking lot. Stealing light fixtures, etc.... Right ?

Ok, then what's inherently evil about md'ing ? I see it as perfectly harmless and innocuous. If you see it as harmful and dangerous, then yes: Everything in your illustration is true. BUT WHY THAT STARTING PREMISE ? :?:

Think about the inherent premises inferred in your post. It is easy to envision the inherent harm in a drag-race in a parking lot. Stealing light fixtures, etc.... Right ?

Ok, then what's inherently evil about md'ing ? I see it as perfectly harmless and innocuous. If you see it as harmful and dangerous, then yes: Everything in your illustration is true. BUT WHY THAT STARTING PREMISE ? :?:

The drag racing event would bring in lots of people therefor generating money for the community, the topiary makes bushes look like elephants and giraffes therefor improving the quality of the landscape right? And if you sell the old rundown light fixtures well they will have to put up fresh shiny new ones right??

WHERE'S THE EVIL IN ANY OF THAT??!

PRESTO ITS LEGAL!! YESSSSSSS

START YOUR ENGINES!

....see Tom in CA anyone can make up their own bogus dream worlds

WHERE'S THE EVIL IN ANY OF THAT??!

PRESTO ITS LEGAL!! YESSSSSSS ....

I know you are jesting. Hence only furthering my point :)

I believe there's laws that would cover Those 3 activities. Stolen lights = "theft". Drag racing in the parking lot ? Isn't that covered by the infraction "exhibition of speed" ? Tampering with the plants has laws/rules that cover that, eh ?

To the extent that ... yes .... So Too could an authority figure construe some law (although not specific) to make our md'ing a 'no-no. Namely the "alter & deface" routine language in all parks. Or the "harvest & remove" prohibitions (after all, we "take" & "remove" things, right ?). But do you really think it's our duty to go in ahead of time asking "does that apply ?" :?:

How about if there were no express allowance , or dis-allowance, of frisbees. Would you think you need to ask permission for that ? After all, the frisbee could poke someone's eye out, right ?

Last edited:
I know you are jesting. Hence only furthering my point :)

I believe there's laws that would cover Those 3 activities. Stolen lights = "theft". Drag racing in the parking lot ? Isn't that covered by the infraction "exhibition of speed" ? Tampering with the plants has laws/rules that cover that, eh ?

To the extent that ... yes .... So Too could an authority figure construe some law (although not specific) to make our md'ing a 'no-no. Namely the "alter & deface" routine language in all parks. Or the "harvest & remove" prohibitions (after all, we "take" & "remove" things, right ?). But do you really think it's our duty to go in ahead of time asking "does that apply ?" :?:

How about if there were no express allowance , of dis-allowance, of frisbees. Would you think you need to ask permission for that ? After all, the frisbee could poke someone's eye out, right ?

Stolen lights...theft???? ok maybe...but what if I just took some stuff out of an old supply cabinet that nobody has gone into for a while and covered my tracks really good so nobody ever knew I was there. That's not stealing right?

Exhibition of speed? ok you got us. drag race off...or wait....what if we just did it at night when we knew no police would be around. It becomes legal then right?

tampering with plants? no there can't be anyone that cares if you tamper with their plants and LAWNS and what not without asking right Tom in CA??? I mean why even bring that up....

anyways GREAT NEWS ALL ACTIVITIES ARE BACK ON!!!!

Stolen lights...theft???? ok maybe...but what if I just took some stuff out of an old supply cabinet that nobody has gone into for a while and covered my tracks really good so nobody ever knew I was there. That's not stealing right?

Exhibition of speed? ok you got us. drag race off...or wait....what if we just did it at night when we knew no police would be around. It becomes legal then right?

tampering with plants? no there can't be anyone that cares if you tamper with their plants and LAWNS and what not without asking right Tom in CA??? I mean why even bring that up....

anyways GREAT NEWS ALL ACTIVITIES ARE BACK ON!!!!

Well BRJ123, As I've said: Everything you're saying is true, as long as we start with the premise that: " md'ing is inherently harmful, dangerous, risky, & objectionable", etc.... If that is our starting premise, then yes: Everything else you're saying is true.

At the risk of opening myself up to the ire of those with an opposing viewpoint, I agree with Tom. I don't think it's necessary, or even wise, to ask for permission to metal detect at a public park. To that end, I personally never have asked for permission in a park, just like I don't ask anyone's permission to play frisbee, lay down in the grass, or have a picnic. I do, however, always look up the rules and regs to make sure metal detecting isn't specifically disallowed at any park or public land that I plan to hunt. Sure, I could ask instead of looking it up myself - that's easier, right? But as Tom constantly advocates, you're just putting yourself into a situation to get a "no" response, even if the activity isn't disallowed by law.

I have never been asked to leave any park that I've detected, and I've occasionally had friendly conversations with park managers/groundkeepers while I'm there - never does permission come up. There are, however, a few places that I've decided not to detect based on what I read for myself in the rules and regs. Based on that track record, I can only conclude that I'm doing a pretty good job of staying within the intent of the law and the spirit of public park usage for the municipalities I've visited.

Sure, we can all come up with ridiculous, unrealistic examples to make the opposing viewpoint look foolish. I don't think that's particularly contributing to an intelligent debate of the topic. But I'll play my own Devil's Advocate here. Do I check the rules and regs before I go to a park to play frisbee? Admittedly, no. Should we? Yeah, we should. In the course of reading rules and regs for various public places for municipalities in various states before MDing trips, I've found some pretty innocuous stuff is actually specifically prohibited sometimes. I've run across several parks were frisbee is, indeed, prohibited. Believe it or not, one park even specifically disallowed lying in the grass. So the real moral of the story is that we technically should be checking the regs at a park before we arrive to do any activity, regardless how innocent and innocuous it seems to our own particular viewpoint. So why do I check for metal detecting, and not for frisbee and lying in the grass? Obviously, common sense and past history tells me MDing has a higher frequency and/or higher likelihood of being addressed specifically. I also fly drones for my side-business - you better believe I check local ordinances before I fly it, for the same reasons. In the case of throwing a frisbee around, believe it or not, we are all taking a calculated risk by not checking park regs before heaving one.

Clearly, BRJ123 and others on the forum would disagree with me about asking permission, and that's ok. I'll respect your viewpoint if you'll respect mine. I personally don't think it's unreasonable for the average citizen to read and interpret municipal code to make a decision without asking for confirmation from a public official. In my opinion, that's one of the main reasons why the code is there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom