Just another nice Indian

TundraPlugger

Elite Member
Went out Monday morning on my way to work. Got permission for a couple old properties in a small town. Found out that there was a ton of junk in the ground.....my detector wouldn't quit chirping the whole time. Managed to dig a silver Rosie and a 1941-D Merc as well as half a dozen wheats. The real prize was this beautiful Indianhead. It's funny how they come out of the ground looking better than the wheats and memorials.
cb20b04b78923fd30b8820d50d2190b3.jpg
c9bb552bcef1d90f721de74687cf261c.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Nice one!
Thanks man! Made it all worth while. I'm starting to get where finding silver doesn't get me like it used to..... I'm more interested in the Indians and tokens. I shouldn't be picky though..... I'll take what I can get!.......... except for clad...... I hate clad

Nice one! The indians are usually in better shape than the early lincolns - maybe better metal? Although they are supposed to be the same alloy.

I'd like to know the Ph of the soil you dug that from. Or is it extremely dry most of the time where you found it.

That's an awesome Indian!! Between this one and the 1883 Indian you posted the other day, you darn near have me convinced I need to move to ND! Your soil is like velvet up there :yes:

It's funny how they come out of the ground looking better than the wheats and memorials.

Nice one! The indians are usually in better shape than the early lincolns - maybe better metal? Although they are supposed to be the same alloy.

You know, I've been wondering about the same thing - I've been noticing that my Indians just seem to have a fuller, greener patina than the older Wheats that I've dug, in general. In the pic below, all four coins were dug in the same farmer's field, and presumably were in the ground for a similar amount of time. The Wheats are only about 10-15 years newer than the Indians, yet the Indians have a far more prominent green patina despite the coins supposedly having the same composition. Sorry for the thread hijack - but someone smarter than me must have an explanation. Only thing I can think of is what DougF suggested - that although the percentage of copper is the same, the actual copper is used is of different grade?

Attachments

• B9CAA359-AC9E-4BA0-8ECF-4BC592892E48.jpg
    B9CAA359-AC9E-4BA0-8ECF-4BC592892E48.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 83
Thanks Doug! They almost seem like they are a stronger strike.

I'd like to know the Ph of the soil you dug that from. Or is it extremely dry most of the time where you found it.
The ground was a mixture of black dirt and clay. Stays pretty damp most of the time. Good ground for farming.

Back
Top Bottom