• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Photographing coin Tips

YARDBYRD

Does anyone have any tips on good ways to take clear pictures of coins?

Re: Photographing coins

I use the macro setting on my Digital camera. I have to put it under good light and hold about 6 inches away. The Macro mode does not flash so you need good light. The photos will come out clear though.

I use either natural north light or intense 100 watt bulbs up close. Sometimes it helps to pile up a stack of books to the height of the object - then rest your hands & camera on it for stillness. I also have a tripod for that. My Mavica Sony fm 85 is a great camera for up close shots. Some cameras dont work well close . Good luck, Steve in so az

When I'm not feeling lazy, I use a "diffuser" I made out of a cut 2 1/2 gallon jug of water. I cut it in half and then cut an opening at the top for the camera. I use 2 lights (cheap fixtures with the clip on the back) with 40 watt "daylight" bulbs. Since I'm within 4-5 inches from my coin, I use a tripod ( you can't hold your hands that steady..) I put my camera on "macro", turn off the flash and set the camera to take the highest quality pic possible.

To take the pic, I use the auto timer. This way, I don't jar the camera by simply pressing the button. When I get something I like, I open it up in my photo editing software and crop it to the right size. Depending on how many megapixels your camera has, you don't even really need macro. If you view it at 80 to 100% you'll see the coin is actually quite big and detailed... just crop it to size.

Here's a link to a site on photographing coins. Some good information, especially on what type of light bulbs to use.

http://www.tabletopstudio.com/documents/coin_photography.htm

Thanks for the tips, looks like I have some practicing to do.

Scanning is easiest, and produces decent results. Macrophotography is much more expensive (equipment-wise) and difficult to do, but can produce great results.
I use a $80 flat bed scanner for coins, instead of using my $3000 macro camera...

Hello Yardbird,

I would use the camera. If it has a closeup feature try it. If not use a 10x magnifying glass. Your result's will be very good. HH

Need picture help

I use Kodak Easyshare for my pics. i can not seem to get them from Kodak to this site. I need lots of advice. Does anyone else use Kodak? i have some pics to share if I can figure it out. Thanks in advance!!

just open your picture in easy share. click on edit picture. click on save as. click on resize picture in lower left hand of screen. select best for web. rename picture and save.

A five gallon bucket of honey bees

Attachments

• 100_0617.JPG
    100_0617.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 9,666
Thanks stick, I may have it!!!!

Attachments

• 100_0616.JPG
    100_0616.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 9,611
  • 100_0617.JPG
    100_0617.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 9,550
Coins can be tough. It usually helps to have them on a non distracting backround, such as a sheet of black or white paper.
As others pointed out, you want to be in a macro mode ... And sometimes they do very nice with a flash if you have the right angle. Obviously, if the light bounces right back to the lens the pic will be useless.
Scanners are Ok too, no focusing or light considerations but from what I have seen, they do not capture detail or colors the way a camera can.

what everyone else said.

I use both.... a good quality flat bed scanner, and my digital camera in macro mode. Depends on what kind of detail, background and lighting I want.

Photo idea maybe

:?: What comes to mind is a large magnifying glass with a good quality lens,Although i haven't tried it its logical it may help with a digital camera.Take a few good shots with the BEST quality setting with & without the glass,it may help with detail resolution.Gotta try anything ya know whatever floats yer boat.:lol: :shock:

Here are some more links

Check this http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php?showtopic=12649 for some absolutely stunning coin pics.
I was so impressed that I went out and got the cam he used to take those shots with, the canon A640, and it just makes a universe of difference over the cam I have been using the last 3 years. It is so good it is acutally a double edged sword, as every single nick, smudge of speck of dust is caught as if in the glare of a spotlight.
I literally just got this cam yesterday so am still tinkering around with the settings. Here is a quick shot I just took of an error penny by hand [no stable table just yet].

Keep in mind also that many pics [as the ones in the link above] you can download them, open them up in the viewer of your choice, and look at properties and EXIF settings. This will give you info on the various settings that were used on the shot, and can be a real help.

Finally, heres another link from the guy above, detailing his setup.
http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php?showtopic=12650

Attachments

• error.jpg
    error.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 6,813
Back
Top Bottom