Ideas for Sovereign GT Housing

Ra1der5

Athletic Supporter
Forum Supporter
I’ve broken the housing on my GT and now it’s not working. Sound is still coming from the speaker but the headphones are intermittent.

2F5BABDE-B303-4574-841E-DADA50E14336.jpeg

Looking for a dead GT or ideas for some other housing/fix.

Posting here instead of the “make/fix yourself” because I know y’all know the GT/BBS and not sure everyone is looking at the the other page.

In advance, thanks for the help. I love this machine!

Raider Regards,

R5

I would try to epoxy it back together..Is that your headphone jack coming out the back next to the coil plug?

Had the same happen to my GT several years ago, I just epoxied the back, still works great and still finds me gold ..Make sure you take care of the headphone jack problem first though..

Attachments

• 20191012_181621.jpg
    20191012_181621.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 437
What ever it is , its not a stock plug..this one is onthespots when I worked on his..severl years ago..no extra plug

Attachments

• SOVEREIGN-GT.jpg
    SOVEREIGN-GT.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 499
should be on the front..I just seen that one..odd..maybe for a remote PP plug? The GT is a SOB to do the remote PP with...not sure on that plug..

Correct! It’s a remote PP.

Score yourself ten bonus points. Do not pass GO! Do not collect $200.

Tony Eisenhower did it for me. I like his remote button!

:cool3:

R5

Looks like folks are interested in the GT remote PP. Here’s a link from Critterhunter that Tony used:

Sovereign GT Remote Pinpoint Instructions

View attachment 451541

R5
I remember critterhunter....been several years since we heard from him..he did start his own forum...that was the last I seen. Here is my Sovereign with the remote PP button..it did have a button, after I took the toggle off, and my pp cable came out the back also...

Attachments

• Frankensovereign (2).jpg
    Frankensovereign (2).jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 381
Correct! It’s a remote PP.
Tony Eisenhower did it for me. I like his remote button!
R5

Tony knows his stuff. Awesome mod!

For the money, I'd just epoxy it back in place. But if you want a DIY project, then google search water proof lexan box and water proof polycarbonate box. There will be a ton of listings. Of course you don't have to make it w/p, but it seems w/p boxes are more rigid and handle shock better than basic plastic boxes.

Attachments

• wp.jpg
    wp.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 335
I’ve broken the housing on my GT and now it’s not working. Sound is still coming from the speaker but the headphones are intermittent.

View attachment 451516

Looking for a dead GT or ideas for some other housing/fix.

Posting here instead of the “make/fix yourself” because I know y’all know the GT/BBS and not sure everyone is looking at the the other page.

In advance, thanks for the help. I love this machine!

Raider Regards,

R5
if you want professional advice ... and want to leave the device for yourself for a long time in the old case:
1) restore all internal connections and soldering (there may have been damage)
2) restore the plastic case by soldering with a metal grid (small pieces are superimposed on the crack and heated with a soldering iron at a temperature of 150-180 degrees Celsius). an epoxy resin layer can be applied on top and reinforced with synthetic fabric or fiberglass.
!
but I would advise you to modify and use the new IP-68 box and sealed IP-68 connectors for the coil and headphones https://www.ebay.com/itm/254390610502

Last edited:
if you want professional advice ... and want to leave the device for yourself for a long time in the old case:
1) restore all internal connections and soldering (there may have been damage)
2) restore the plastic case by soldering with a metal grid (small pieces are superimposed on the crack and heated with a soldering iron at a temperature of 150-180 degrees Celsius). an epoxy resin layer can be applied on top and reinforced with synthetic fabric or fiberglass.
!
but I would advise you to modify and use the new IP-68 box and sealed IP-68 connectors for the coil and headphones https://www.ebay.com/itm/252036435664

Thanks for this Stavr. Even with the CTX, I have a hard time putting this detector down. I’m currently checking all of the connections.

R5

Tony knows his stuff. Awesome mod!

For the money, I'd just epoxy it back in place. But if you want a DIY project, then google search water proof lexan box and water proof polycarbonate box. There will be a ton of listings. Of course you don't have to make it w/p, but it seems w/p boxes are more rigid and handle shock better than basic plastic boxes.

I was looking for these as I knew others had waterproofed theirs. Thanks David.

R5

I remember critterhunter....been several years since we heard from him..he did start his own forum...that was the last I seen. Here is my Sovereign with the remote PP button..it did have a button, after I took the toggle off, and my pp cable came out the back also...

Yup, still talk to him regularly. He still has his Sovereign GT with his remote PP and swears by it as one the best and deepest detectors out there. Even a waterproof one over and an Excal. He's too busy working these days but just asked to borrow my scoop so he's itching to get out.

I was looking for these as I knew others had waterproofed theirs. Thanks David.

R5

Critterhunter also waterproofed his GT without completely taking the main board out of the case. But I know there are a few where it was pulled and looked pretty good. I thought about doing this if I came upon a GT to play with as I said above, Critterhunter swore by his GT over an excal and I saw him pull silver in places I never thought existed.
Either way if you are looking for a specific part, let me know I may be able to help.

Back
Top Bottom