Forum upgrade

Vlad

Owner/Administrator
Admin
I need to upgrade this forum in the near future.

My reason is that when I tried to upgrade my server software it broke some functionality so I backed out of it. I could live with an outdated forum software but living with outdated server is pushing your luck too far.

In order to keep things secure I must upgrade the server at some point, I really don't want to upgrade the forum software to VB4 to stay compatible with the server software, as I feel VB is not what it used to be any longer, and their latest offering of VB5 is beyond useable. So, I don't see a reason to upgrade to VB4 since it's a dead end.

I feel xenForo would be a good long term solution because it is developed by the same programmers who created VB (before version 4), which we are running now.
If you have not heard the story, the head programmers of VB left the company due to new management and their new policies, and started their own company. Shortly afterwards, their old company tried to sue them but the case is finally closed, and they can move forward with full development of xenForo now.

I just bought a copy of xenForo two days ago and my plan is to convert the Liberty metal detecting forum, and give it a test run for a while to see how it goes before converting Friendly to it. This will give all of us an opportunity to get familiar with it.

I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Vlad,
Change like this is inevitable - have to move ahead with the newer better software.

I would think it is ok so long as we dont lose anything on the forum.
I use some of the old articles as a how to when i go to a new area and some of the detector stuff you probably cant find anywhere else.

I say go for it as long as nothing changes and we dont lose anything

Don't think the new software will be a problem, the forum is about the people, and how it's run. We'll learn and adapt.

Upgrades are pretty much mandatory, forum grows. There is also hackers and spam, a never ending battle.

Xenforo seems to have a bright future and plenty of features for the needs of this forum (from what I can see) There doesn't seem to be any reason to not consider it. Flip side is...Vbulletin 4 is well established (5 is still Beta, really) and has a great support community. Flip a coin.

Don't think the new software will be a problem, the forum is about the people, and how it's run. We'll learn and adapt.

Upgrades are pretty much mandatory, forum grows. There is also hackers and spam, a never ending battle.

Harvey is right. Whatever changes are needed to keep this forum the best; please do them. The software is just the tool that allows all of us to gather on a daily basis. If things change a bit, we will adapt.

Doug

Harvey is right. Whatever changes are needed to keep this forum the best; please do them. The software is just the tool that allows all of us to gather on a daily basis. If things change a bit, we will adapt.

Doug

agreed! :yes:

i remember waaay back to my first computer when all it ran was DOS, no hard drive, had to use a boot disk every time i turned it on and couldn't really do all that much with it. and then, WOW, it was windows 3.1, lol. :laughing:
geez.... now i'm up to windows 8.1 :roll: i guess to help stay with the advancements, we have to advance and adapt with the times. :yes:

Pete

I don't know anything about software this or software that needed to run a forum but know that we are in good hands between you & Carol.

Will this forum then merge with the Liberty Forum ?

No, I want to convert liberty forum to run on xenForo and use it as a platform to test things before converting Friendly.

In the end, both forums will run on the same software, and if Friendly ever goes down due to server issues members can post there while things gets fixed and not be intimidated by different environment.

I hope this makes sense and thanks for the feedback guys.

Change is inevitable. I love this forum and all the folks here, I look forward to trying out the new boards! Thank you for keeping it open for us.

"Like" Feature

I came to this thread specifically to tell you that I think a "like" feature similar to facebook would be great for the forum, especially when people post finds. Not everyone likes to comment, but "liking" something gives an opportunity to easily offer positive feedback among the members.

When I went out and looked at xenForo, it appears they have such a feature. I think that would be a great addition to the site!

I think it sounds as tho you know what you're talking about and what is best for the forum . I personally don't have a clue what you're talking about , :laughing: ,, I'm not really that into computers . You've done an awesome job with what we have now , and if you think you can improve on what we have , then change away my friend ,,, we will adapt ,,

I came to this thread specifically to tell you that I think a "like" feature similar to facebook would be great for the forum, especially when people post finds. Not everyone likes to comment, but "liking" something gives an opportunity to easily offer positive feedback among the members.

When I went out and looked at xenForo, it appears they have such a feature. I think that would be a great addition to the site!

Yep, its in there on top of a bunch of other things.
I'm still trying to learn all the new toys...

I will start testing it on liberty in the next few days, I will keep you guys posted.

Thanks for the positive comments!

Sorry, I can't give you my thoughts because I ain't got the foggiest idea what you are talking about. The inner workings of a computer and the web is a total mystery to me. :?::?:

I will speak for the F2 uses on this board. If you can keep everything Digger27 has ever wrote on the subject of the Fisher F2, then I'm fine with the upgrade.

His unlimited wisdom and posts are an inspiration around here, and if they ever became lost, we Fisher F2 users would have no where else to turn too.

It would be a great burden if we lost his posts!!

Back
Top Bottom