NEW! Garrett AT Pro (Updated 10/04/2010 with Video)

Got mine Friday and haven't even taken it out......Not sure I even like it by just the looks....maybe crazy but that's how it goes.....

Review

Ok. I've been doing some test, air and field test with the AT Pro. I have 1 video up and I'm working on some others. The 1st video isn't the greatest, since I'm still learning the unit. On the second video, there were a couple more shining moments. Nothing great, but from a performance point-of-view, what I wanted to see. ( My reviews and vids= http://www.youtube.com/metaldetectingoregon#p/u/4/68k36ZwNU6Q)

I found the sounds overwhelming at first, but I'm getting used to hearing what I need to hear. I'm also, in just the few times out, getting better at judging what I'm digging by it's vdi and tone. I have no other MD to compare it with except the Ace 250. From my point-of-view, this is all new, but to many of you, you may already have experience the tones, fast recovery and dd coils.

I found that if swing over a big chatter of noise, that I should check it. The thin slice of the detection window of this dd coil is small. So you can miss stuff iron, coin, iron, if you not taking the time to work area. There are 2 real issue's I have and these issue's might be common with all or more detectors. 1) As far as my test go, the MD did ok on a combination of metals, that is, coin next to nail. The unit did ok with the iron sitting at 2" and coin at 4". But of course, the VDI number is a mix of the metals. The only way around this, is to dig all questionable tones. 2) If you put 2 or more quarters on their side and scan across the coil, you get crap. Real bad readings.

But I was very happy to dig a very holes where I pulled out of the same hole an iron object (rusty nail) and a coin. This is where the Ace 250 missed coins.

I'm still learning the "tone roll audio". I can't duplicate the sound that Garrett did on their video with the bottle cap, but I notice that when I have used the roll tone audio, it took away the low iron tone and made the iron tone sound off in the nickel tone (2nd lowest tone). There were a few times this was helpful.

I don't know what else I can tell you at the moment. I field tested a park that cleaned out with the Ace 250. I actually went back and added up what the Ace 250 had pulled from my little park and it was around $15! And the AT Pro going over most of the same area pulled another $4.5! So from I've done and know, the AT Pro pulled 25% more out and I know that the more I use the AT Pro and learn it's sounds and functions, it will produce even more. I'm positive on that.

Another I don't like is the headphone jack. I know it's the way it is because it's made for underwater and needs a tight seal, but I like using my mp3 earplugs. So I'm going to have to find the same plug and make an adapter plug.

Nice review,I have a question...do you get headphones with the AT PRO? (cheapies?) i have ordered the AT and was thinking if you get a set of el cheapo headphones i could cut off the plug and splice in my preferred ear buds (i also ordered the underwater phones for use in the water) but won't get my unit until next week at the earliest. Feedback so far is that the volume through the phones is maxed out???

To be honest, the headphones that came with the AT Pro are really nice full over the ear with volume control for each ear and a switch for mono and stereo. I'm just so used to my mp3 earplugs and I used to play Counter Strike all the time and used the big head phones. My ears got so hot and sweaty. So I know I won't like these in summer or any over the ear headphones.

I'm in no rush at the moment, since it's cold out. But when spring hits, I'll be looking for a change in earplug headphones.

I bought the adapter for mine so I can use any headset I want. It was a little spendy, but worth it I think. 50.00
Now I can use my gray ghost headphones or earbuds if I want.
Waiting on the small shooter coil for mine also. Should work better in the trashy parks.
Hopefully!

Steve
Portland, OR

Thanks , Steve where did you get the adapter? Garrett have informed me they don't make one but didn't elaborate where i might get one from. Not many places in Western Australia i can get one from so will be hunting on the internet

What's the deal with headphones? I've been reading that people are complaining about the headphone connection. Is it not the standard mini or 1/4" headphone jack??

Thanks , Steve where did you get the adapter? Garrett have informed me they don't make one but didn't elaborate where i might get one from. Not many places in Western Australia i can get one from so will be hunting on the internet

They are being sold on E bay.
Just punch in garrett headphone adapter and it should show up

thanks Steve reply much appreciated

outwardjourney - as the AT PO is alo a 'water" machine th conections need to be waterproof so standard jacks won't do the job

gotcha. I looked up headphone adapters on ebay with no luck. Only place I saw was some place in canada and they were $70 OUCH!

I could probably build these. they look like xlr to 1/4" audio plugs modified. Ill have to get one to see. but thanks for the link! Is the AT Pro adapter the same as the other garrett MDs? Like for the infinium? Just curious

Here's a youtube video made in salt water http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpgnacYzkWU

AT Pro mix gold, silver, copper and lead with IRON in ground test!
Max deep is about 6 inches or 15.24 centimeters for coins
Never buy Garret AT Pro is real disaster!
I am extremely disappointed by this metaldetector. If anyone knows a way to get my money back from Garrett please contact me:
mail: [email protected]
web: www.bgdiagnostica.com
tel: +359888707108

I have AT Pro from about 1 month.When i search with it i discover that everything which i found is on very small deep about 5-6 inches.Because of this i make some tests - see this video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfsL1I2EIww
Diferent person in OREGON USA discover the same with his metaldetector...from Garrett change his unit 3 times no result
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIZfo2Q-WGY

Back
Top Bottom