Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Advice on Detector Purchase

Old 10-09-2020, 09:23 AM

Default Recommend Cheap Detector to Find Property Pins?

I'm looking to find the property pins at my house to build a fence. I know the general area they should be in, but still can't find them so I think a metal detector may help.

I found this one on Amazon, but I'm not sure if maybe I'm being too cheap & this isn't a good solution?

https://www.amazon.com/Carrfan-Pinpo...1&rps=1&sr=8-2

Please help recommend a cheap solution.

Old 10-09-2020, 09:25 AM
Elite Member

Nope

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Garrett Apex

Old 10-09-2020, 10:14 AM
Supporter

The pin pointer won't be easy to find them with. My buddy borrowed my nephew's cheap-o Amazon kids detector and found his pins. You could probably tell people where you are and seek a members help in finding them. Maybe pay for lunch or beer 😁

Old 10-09-2020, 10:15 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by EmuDetector View post
The pin pointer won't be easy to find them with. My buddy borrowed my nephew's cheap-o Amazon kids detector and found his pins. You could probably tell people where you are and seek a members help in finding them. Maybe pay for lunch or beer
Yep much better than buying those junkie pin pointer

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Garrett Apex

Old 10-09-2020, 11:09 AM
Supporter

This is the least expensive one that should work. You could resale it for $30ish when done using it or could keep it for the next time you lose something. Search with no disc.
https://www.amazon.com/Bounty-Hunter.../dp/B0007VBRUE

Old 10-09-2020, 11:37 AM
Supporter

If all you want to do is locate property pins, why don't you rent one?

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-09-2020, 11:53 AM
Elite Member

I see its your first post here. Where do you live? We have owners that are members here that probably be honored to assist you if they live close. Welcome aboard and if by chance you get a detector you may very well get hooked on the hobby and become a very busy partner here on this forum.

Old 10-09-2020, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by bowwinkles View post
I see its your first post here. Where do you live? We have owners that are members here that probably be honored to assist you if they live close. Welcome aboard and if by chance you get a detector you may very well get hooked on the hobby and become a very busy partner here on this forum.
Thanks. I live in Lake Worth Florida. If anyone see's this & they are in my area please give me a PM. Otherwise I'll probably buy the detector MuddyMo recommended. I can then let my friends kid have fun with it (or maybe myself lol).

Old 10-09-2020, 09:02 PM
Elite Member

I am often asked to find property markers and I explain that I may find a wrong marker or what isnít a marker at all. If you use that as a reference and build a fence or house on somebody elseís property you can be responsible for hefty legal fees, fines and have to tear down and rebuild.

Hire a surveyor. Be safe.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-10-2020, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by MuddyMo View post
This is the least expensive one that should work. You could resale it for $30ish when done using it or could keep it for the next time you lose something. Search with no disc.
That's an optimistic estimate.

Old 10-10-2020, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Chipk View post
I am often asked to find property markers and I explain that I may find a wrong marker or what isnít a marker at all. If you use that as a reference and build a fence or house on somebody elseís property you can be responsible for hefty legal fees, fines and have to tear down and rebuild.

This. And you don't have to pay for a full survey, either. Confirming what your property lines are will be far cheaper than a full survey.

Old 10-10-2020, 02:50 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Chipk View post

I heard this same advice a long time ago. I'd only use the finding of a marker using a personal detector as a reference. I've found a few though. Surveyors sorta have a lock, legally.

Old 10-10-2020, 05:51 PM

If you want to shop locally these might work:

I loaned a cheapie Harbor Freight "9 Function metal Detector" to a friend who had no problem finding his property markers. I think it was $40 w 20%off coupon. Sorta flimsy but functional. Early on I found .177 cal airgun pellets in my yard with it, so no lack of sensitivity on small stuff.

I'd also consider the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV at Michaels or Hobby Lobby with 40%off coupon should get it down to $50ish. Had I known about this deal I would have bought it instead of the Harbor Freight, given it's a solid brand name.

edit -- hobby lobby doesn't allow the coupon on this item. Maybe that's why I bought the harbor freight after all.

Good legal advice!

1 members found this post helpful.