searching an old homestead

Dexter82

Hi everyone, new to the forums. I’ve been metal detecting off and on for years, just recently got back into it. My primary location to hunt is an old homestead on our property. I did some research on it (history major!) and found lots of info on the people who lived there. It was a log cabin built in the 1850s, still intact. There were at least 3 generations that lived there that I am aware of, the last known inhabitant lived there until the 1930s I think. The families were pretty well off, not rich but certainly not poor. Due to its secluded and nearly impassible by vehicle location, I am almost certain it has not been searched, at least not thoroughly. I try to head out there on the weekends as much as I can get away from the wife and kids that is.

So far, I would guess my most valuable/interesting find there was the face plate and ring to an old pocketwatch. I found it buried maybe 6 inches deep where the old inhabitants of the homestead had their outdoor kitchen, near its outer foundation. Most of the floorboards have been pulled up over the years in the outdoor kitchen so there is really fine sand there. Searching that sandy area, I’ve found old buttons, half of an old marble, a coin sized metal button, an old fork (..which I lost..), broken dishes/china, a mostly intact old syringe/medicine dropper, half of an old fork or spoon(which I found out to be ‘Roger’s Nickel Silver” from the markings) and half of a frying pan. Of course I find the obligatory iron nails and other junk.

The old homestead has a lot of prime locations to search that I plan on searching: an old well, chicken coop, fields, stone fence bordering the location, 2 creeks, spring where they bathed/washed clothes/swam (there is evidence they dammed it up), and cellar hole. Of course there is also an old path they used that I have yet to search. My problem is, when I go down there I get ADD and want to search every little spot… switching often. There are so many potential “hot spots” there I don’t know where to search first.

Last Saturday I spent maybe 4 hours down there detecting. I had to strap a weed eater to the 4 wheeler and tried to clear an area to search near the stone fence but it ran out of string. I was able to search the base of a large tree there and small sections of the fence but didn’t find anything of importance. I searched a room of the cabin with no floor but beams still there. nothing found there, so I checked the outdoor kitchen area again. Just found nails again, so then I decided to try to clear out the heavily weeded cellar area. I got some hits from old tin cans, and I dug up the bottom half and top of a white bottle of some sort. The base is square, and it almost looks porcelain. I’ll have to post pics of it to see if anyone here knows what it might be.

Had I concentrated all of my time on that cellar, I might have been more successful. I plan on taking a day off to clear it, and dig out the bottom. As I was leaving I decided to search as I was walking away and got a hit, and dug up an old metal button. No writing on it that I know of. Not sure if it was in an area they kept their clothesline or just where they threw out trash. It was in the back, and in proximity to a straight line where a large tree is.

So my question is, where should I start and concentrate on first? I’ll probably head out there this weekend, and post some pics of the stuff I have found.

Wow. Nice post & pretty neat. Please post pic's. I'm working an 1836 mill site (see my album) that is huge & understand your situation as I want to everywhich way. I decided to focus on one spot at a time & grid search it as best as I could. My guess would be to start off simple & do the cellar hole 1st. Once done pick one side of the house & work your way out using the corners of the house as your start & stop points. Go out as far as you can. While out looking try to find the privy, lots of stuff was thrown in there & perhaps some coins went in as well. I believe thery were about 40" away from the house & down wind (for obvious reasons). Good Luck & HH!!

Rebel, how do I view your album? that sounds neat.

Attached here is a picture of some of the things I found, including the white bottle I found in the cellar hole.

That sounds like a good idea to start in the cellar. I will probably dig around some this weekend, and let everyone know what I find.

I have yet to find the outhouse, but I think I have a general idea. I'll draw a map soon of what I know and maybe someone could help point out where the outhouse might have been.

Attachments

• 100_0196.jpg
    100_0196.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 1,305
Click on my name in the post and it will take you to my profile. From there you can view my album. Let me know if this works. Nice pixs by the way.

Sounds like a coll spot, best of luck on your finds! Rural homesteads often don't produce many coins, but are great for relic hunting. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom