waders or wet suit

DebCT

I recently got into water detecting and plan to do that till it gets really cold. I went to sports authority yesterday to find some waders and there was so many choices I wasn't sure what to get. I'm curious what you guys are using for cold water clothing :?: The neoprene waders seem too snug and heavy and the nylon ones seem kind of wide it could be a problem if they filled with water. I even considered getting a wet suit. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated . Thanx

That is up to you Deb, I have waders by Simms they are Gortex and are not cheap but they fit perfectly and the regular canvas waders don't last long and are a waste of money and are heavy. Waders are dangerous in our hobby all it takes is stepping in a hole and it could be lights out. Neoprene are better because they hug your body stopping some of the water from entering. I might get another pair if I find the Gortex doesn't keep me warm enough this winter.

Btw.. Didn't you know Connecticut beaches are all mine? Well, in the water anyway :lol:

If you wear waders you will be safe as long as you wear a belt on the outside, so if you do go in the drink they dont fill up. Ask any fly fisherman...they will tell you the same.

I vote wetsuit. No surprises if ya step in a hole. AND no rogue waves gonna "fill you up" either.  :P :P
An you better stay outa Craig's water too! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I use neoprene waders for water up to just over waist deep and a pair of NRC boots, when I go deeper to chun deep I use a dry suit with the same pair of NRC boots. A wet suit is fine but that initial joly of cold when you first enter the water is not my cup of tea, also the wet suit is tough to peel out of in the cold weather. Just my thoughts, H.H.:-)

I prefer the neoprene waders when the water is cold. I do like the wetsuit, though that first shot of cold water can be an eye opener. I won't use it past October, but will again in late April or May. A dry suit is my next investment. I'm shopping around for one. I want to make sure that it keeps me relatively warm during the winter months.

Waterman said:
A wet suit is fine but that initial joly of cold when you first enter the water is not my cup of tea, also the wet suit is tough to peel out of in the cold weather.

Man, I had my first experience with that the last time out. I was shivering like a Chihuahua as I peeled it off. :shock: It was slightly windy that day.

Waders do kill off a few and wet suits are so cheap now. As I'm getting on I prefer a dry suit but they seem to remain expensive and I've yet to see how long it will stand up to detecting use.

One of our club members uses neoprene stocking waders, and boots over the booties that are attached to the waders. They remind me of bib overalls. That's what I'm going to buy, as all the other waders with attached boots are way too big for us gals. Besides, if the boots get worn out or torn up, the waders are no good without them.

Trudy

FYI to all. Dry suits are designed to be used with under garments and a layer of air. You can get buy with sweat pants and a sweat shirt but I don't know how you would add air to the suit with out a regulator. in shallow water it might not matter but it could be uncomfortable trying to adjust the suit without air. Just my .02. cladius.

Thanx everyone for your suggestions, I think I will go with neoprene waders with attached boots. Deb

Back
Top Bottom