Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Show Me Treasure
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > How to Use Your Metal Detector

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 10-18-2018, 01:58 AM
Seaking406 Seaking406 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 388
Default

Originally Posted by BottleCapKing View post
You always need to pinpoint from two directions.

If a coin is lying like this: \ and you sweep in from the right to pinpoint, it will pinpoint to the right of where the actual target is. If you pinpoint from the left, you will get a better location of the target.

If a coin is lying like this: / and you sweep in from the left it will pinpoint to the left of where the actual target is. If you pin point from the right, you will get a better location of the target.

Turning 90 degrees and pinpointing again adds to the accuracy of location.
I do sweep 90' from original position and yet it leaves me with a larger than appreciative zone to pin point at. I've reset my Nox600's firmware update but not yet had a chance to get out with it and see if it's any better. Fingers crossed.

Cheers
Reply With Quote


  #22  
Old 10-18-2018, 09:09 AM
DIGGER27's Avatar
DIGGER27 DIGGER27 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and Kansas
Posts: 14,361
Default

On the standard coil using the pinpoint button seemed to work most of the time but it might be off a bit here and there.
Doing it twice zeros in on the target better but takes more time as does doing the X thing.
On most DD coils I use the wiggle and pull back method which is pretty accurate and it works pretty well using the larger coil on the Nox although not as precise as other detectors and coils I have used.
With the 6" Nox coil the wiggle and pull back method is very precise and accurate, easy, fast and my preferred way to pinpoint most targets.

__________________
"The road to success is always under construction."

Currently hunting with an F70, a Mojave and a borrowed Red Racer.
Plus a Nox 800.

Reply With Quote


  #23  
Old 10-18-2018, 12:57 PM
ToddB64's Avatar
ToddB64 ToddB64 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Posts: 626
Default Nox 600 Accuracy Pin Pointing?

Originally Posted by BottleCapKing View post
You always need to pinpoint from two directions.

If a coin is lying like this: \ and you sweep in from the right to pinpoint, it will pinpoint to the right of where the actual target is. If you pinpoint from the left, you will get a better location of the target.

If a coin is lying like this: / and you sweep in from the left it will pinpoint to the left of where the actual target is. If you pin point from the right, you will get a better location of the target.

Turning 90 degrees and pinpointing again adds to the accuracy of location.
BottleCapKing…...I love the precise way you described things in your post, however, not being able to see how the coin is laying in the ground prior to digging, (a) how would I know which coil sweep, from right or left, produced a better location of the target and therefore (b) what help would the method in the first two paragraphs give me ?

ToddB64

__________________
Signature:
Teknetics Gamma 6000, Tesoro Bandido II µMax and Compadre, Whites Classic II, Garrett Ace250 and Pro-Pointer AT, Vibra-Probe 570, Cen-Tech Pinpointer, Lesche Digger, Tabdog Digger Replica I made, RatphonesMax Headphones, Janster Coin Probe.

Reply With Quote


  #24  
Old 10-18-2018, 02:01 PM
Detector's Avatar
Detector Detector is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Dodge City KS
Posts: 9,697
Default

I'd like to see a new pinpointing system. Something where the display shows a circle to represent the coil and a smaller red circle to represent the target. You just move the coil until the red target circle is in the center.
Attached Images
 

__________________
The real treasure is in the hunt....

Reply With Quote


  #25  
Old 10-18-2018, 03:12 PM
Rattlehead's Avatar
Rattlehead Rattlehead is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cave Spring, GA USA
Posts: 3,107
Default

Originally Posted by Detector View post
I'd like to see a new pinpointing system. Something where the display shows a circle to represent the coil and a smaller red circle to represent the target. You just move the coil until the red target circle is in the center.
That would be cool. Not sure if its possible with a double D coil but would definitely be awesome.

__________________
MINELAB CTX3030 | EQU|NOX800 | XP DĒUS | PRO-POINTER AT | PRO-FIND 35

Reply With Quote


  #26  
Old 10-18-2018, 06:58 PM
BottleCapKing's Avatar
BottleCapKing BottleCapKing is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Central Mass
Posts: 1,995
Default

Originally Posted by ToddB64 View post
BottleCapKing…...I love the precise way you described things in your post, however, not being able to see how the coin is laying in the ground prior to digging, (a) how would I know which coil sweep, from right or left, produced a better location of the target and therefore (b) what help would the method in the first two paragraphs give me ?

ToddB64

It takes practice to do while the coin is in the ground. I practiced this with a piece of wood with notches cut at 30, 45 and 90 degrees and watched how things pinpointed from various directions and each of the angles. I did this at increasing distances from the coins as well, with different types and sizes of coins.

__________________
White's V3i - MXS - TRX - Sampson - White's Digger
Oldest - 2018: 1738 King George II
2018 -- Ag:9, WH:35, IH:2, Cu:1, V's:0, Buffs:3, .925:5, Au:3, Keys:7

Reply With Quote


  #27  
Old 10-20-2018, 06:06 PM
ToddB64's Avatar
ToddB64 ToddB64 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Posts: 626
Default Nox 600 Accuracy Pin Pointing?

Originally Posted by Rattlehead View post
Doesn't the VX3 have a centrifugal coil? If so, that would explain the difference.
Rattlehead…….I think you meant to say "concentric" coil. Centrifugal means the force that pulls a rotating object away from the center of rotation.

Had to let the "smartxxs" out of it's cage again!

ToddB64

__________________
Signature:
Teknetics Gamma 6000, Tesoro Bandido II µMax and Compadre, Whites Classic II, Garrett Ace250 and Pro-Pointer AT, Vibra-Probe 570, Cen-Tech Pinpointer, Lesche Digger, Tabdog Digger Replica I made, RatphonesMax Headphones, Janster Coin Probe.

Reply With Quote


  #28  
Old 10-20-2018, 06:40 PM
ToddB64's Avatar
ToddB64 ToddB64 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Posts: 626
Default Nox 600 Accuracy Pin Pointing?

Originally Posted by BottleCapKing View post
It takes practice to do while the coin is in the ground. I practiced this with a piece of wood with notches cut at 30, 45 and 90 degrees and watched how things pinpointed from various directions and each of the angles. I did this at increasing distances from the coins as well, with different types and sizes of coins.
BottleCapKing,

Now you've activated my curiosity button and I wanna know exactly how your method works using the piece of notched wood. I'm visually oriented, so sometimes text explanations seem a little abstract to me.

Can you do a video or sketch to help me understand ? As the saying goes "One picture is worth a thousand words".

Thanks much!

ToddB64

__________________
Signature:
Teknetics Gamma 6000, Tesoro Bandido II µMax and Compadre, Whites Classic II, Garrett Ace250 and Pro-Pointer AT, Vibra-Probe 570, Cen-Tech Pinpointer, Lesche Digger, Tabdog Digger Replica I made, RatphonesMax Headphones, Janster Coin Probe.

Reply With Quote


  #29  
Old 10-20-2018, 08:02 PM
Rattlehead's Avatar
Rattlehead Rattlehead is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cave Spring, GA USA
Posts: 3,107
Default

Originally Posted by ToddB64 View post
Rattlehead…….I think you meant to say "concentric" coil. Centrifugal means the force that pulls a rotating object away from the center of rotation.



Had to let the "smartxxs" out of it's cage again!



ToddB64


LOL! Yessir. I’m gonna write that one off as a brain fart.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

__________________
MINELAB CTX3030 | EQU|NOX800 | XP DĒUS | PRO-POINTER AT | PRO-FIND 35

Reply With Quote


  #30  
Old 10-20-2018, 08:09 PM
ToddB64's Avatar
ToddB64 ToddB64 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Posts: 626
Default Nox 600 Accuracy Pin Pointing?

Originally Posted by Detector View post
I'd like to see a new pinpointing system. Something where the display shows a circle to represent the coil and a smaller red circle to represent the target. You just move the coil until the red target circle is in the center.
Detector...… I love your idea of the electronic red dot !

I would think that idea could be displayed as an animated image on the control box LCD screen, and utilizing target eddy currents fed to the control box, circuit components could then be added to correlate coil movement with target-actual-position visually instead of audibly as done with pin-pointing circuitry.

Just my rudimentary thoughts, leaving the tough work of development and testing to the electronics experts.

ToddB64

__________________
Signature:
Teknetics Gamma 6000, Tesoro Bandido II µMax and Compadre, Whites Classic II, Garrett Ace250 and Pro-Pointer AT, Vibra-Probe 570, Cen-Tech Pinpointer, Lesche Digger, Tabdog Digger Replica I made, RatphonesMax Headphones, Janster Coin Probe.


Last edited by ToddB64; 10-20-2018 at 08:48 PM. Reason: added paragraph and winking smilie.
Reply With Quote


  #31  
Old 10-21-2018, 05:04 PM
BottleCapKing's Avatar
BottleCapKing BottleCapKing is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Central Mass
Posts: 1,995
Default

Originally Posted by ToddB64 View post
BottleCapKing,

Now you've activated my curiosity button and I wanna know exactly how your method works using the piece of notched wood. I'm visually oriented, so sometimes text explanations seem a little abstract to me.

Can you do a video or sketch to help me understand ? As the saying goes "One picture is worth a thousand words".

Thanks much!

ToddB64

It is pretty simple. Cut a notch in a board deep enough to hold a coin in place. Do it for angles of 30, 45, 60, and 90. Place board on dirt. Insert coin. See how it pin points from various directions and distances. The board I use is 6 inches long, 1 inch wide, and 1/2 inch thick. You could use plastic as well. You can make sure the coin stays flat against the edge by wedging in a toothpick

__________________
White's V3i - MXS - TRX - Sampson - White's Digger
Oldest - 2018: 1738 King George II
2018 -- Ag:9, WH:35, IH:2, Cu:1, V's:0, Buffs:3, .925:5, Au:3, Keys:7

Reply With Quote


  #32  
Old 10-23-2018, 02:06 PM
ToddB64's Avatar
ToddB64 ToddB64 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Posts: 626
Default Nox 600 Accuracy Pin Pointing?

Originally Posted by BottleCapKing View post
It is pretty simple. Cut a notch in a board deep enough to hold a coin in place. Do it for angles of 30, 45, 60, and 90. Place board on dirt. Insert coin. See how it pin points from various directions and distances. The board I use is 6 inches long, 1 inch wide, and 1/2 inch thick. You could use plastic as well. You can make sure the coin stays flat against the edge by wedging in a toothpick
BottleCapKing,

Does the attached sketch depict what you said above ?

ToddB64
Attached Images
 

__________________
Signature:
Teknetics Gamma 6000, Tesoro Bandido II µMax and Compadre, Whites Classic II, Garrett Ace250 and Pro-Pointer AT, Vibra-Probe 570, Cen-Tech Pinpointer, Lesche Digger, Tabdog Digger Replica I made, RatphonesMax Headphones, Janster Coin Probe.

Reply With Quote


  #33  
Old 10-23-2018, 03:36 PM
treasure_hunter1 treasure_hunter1 is offline
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 448
Default

Here is way to find the sweet spot of any detector with pinpointing. Get you several pieces of cardboard, tape coins on one side of each one in different locations so no two are the same, turn them upside down so coins are on the bottom and spin them on to the ground. Now pinpoint each one, when you think you have it pinpointed make an "X" on the top with a pencil then flip it over and see where the X is in relation to the actual location of the coin on the back.
Reply With Quote


  #34  
Old 10-23-2018, 07:59 PM
BottleCapKing's Avatar
BottleCapKing BottleCapKing is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Central Mass
Posts: 1,995
Default

Originally Posted by ToddB64 View post
BottleCapKing,

Does the attached sketch depict what you said above ?

ToddB64

Why seperate boards? All of the slots can go on the same board. That I how I did it it. Works just fine.

__________________
White's V3i - MXS - TRX - Sampson - White's Digger
Oldest - 2018: 1738 King George II
2018 -- Ag:9, WH:35, IH:2, Cu:1, V's:0, Buffs:3, .925:5, Au:3, Keys:7

Reply With Quote


  #35  
Old 10-23-2018, 08:18 PM
ToddB64's Avatar
ToddB64 ToddB64 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Posts: 626
Default Nox 600 Accuracy Pin Pointing?

Originally Posted by BottleCapKing View post
Why seperate boards? All of the slots can go on the same board. That I how I did it it. Works just fine.
BCK...…..Whoops! Guess I had a brain fart.

ToddB64

__________________
Signature:
Teknetics Gamma 6000, Tesoro Bandido II µMax and Compadre, Whites Classic II, Garrett Ace250 and Pro-Pointer AT, Vibra-Probe 570, Cen-Tech Pinpointer, Lesche Digger, Tabdog Digger Replica I made, RatphonesMax Headphones, Janster Coin Probe.

Reply With Quote


  #36  
Old 10-23-2018, 09:19 PM
ToddB64's Avatar
ToddB64 ToddB64 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Posts: 626
Default Nox 600 Accuracy Pin Pointing?

Originally Posted by treasure_hunter1 View post
Here is way to find the sweet spot of any detector with pinpointing. Get you several pieces of cardboard, tape coins on one side of each one in different locations so no two are the same, turn them upside down so coins are on the bottom and spin them on to the ground. Now pinpoint each one, when you think you have it pinpointed make an "X" on the top with a pencil then flip it over and see where the X is in relation to the actual location of the coin on the back.
Thanks treasure_hunter1. Your suggestion for finding the "sweet spot" on any coil should work, although theoretically since the method entails operator pin-pointing proficiency, a good consistent level of pin-pointing skill needs to be pre-established and a factor for the operator's average amount of pin-pointing error should be included when marking the sweet spot on top of the coil housing.

Never been good at abstract thought and at age 77 have occasional brain farts, so someone will probably punch a hole in my logic.

Toddb64

__________________
Signature:
Teknetics Gamma 6000, Tesoro Bandido II µMax and Compadre, Whites Classic II, Garrett Ace250 and Pro-Pointer AT, Vibra-Probe 570, Cen-Tech Pinpointer, Lesche Digger, Tabdog Digger Replica I made, RatphonesMax Headphones, Janster Coin Probe.

Reply With Quote


Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.