Relic-y type hunts with a Merc

off the iron

Elite Member
I've been hitting the woods in a local park this summer and fall. I finally decided to make my way out into the open areas the last few times I've been out. I'd been avoiding the open sections because its a busy area and I mainly don't want to be bothered. Its also a 100+ year old park and everyone and their mother with a detector has been through it, no doubt. But with colder temps and people generally wanting to stay away from each other I decided to give it a few passes.

Did pretty good on the relics, the flower pin is in great shape, and the WWII token is a first for me. The two best finds were a nameplate tag with a name and address I'm hoping to research along with a 5cent soda token from Jones & O'Brien's Pharmacy. I think the town is Hinsdale, NH - of course there is corrosion over 1 letter in the name and the last letter of the state.

The lone old coin was a 1919 Philly Merc

Hope everyone is still able to get out and dig

Attachments

• 7. Insta pic from hunts on Nov 14 & 17.jpg
    7. Insta pic from hunts on Nov 14 & 17.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 359
  • 2. Owen Moran nameplate tag_15 Hudson Street Lowell.jpg
    2. Owen Moran nameplate tag_15 Hudson Street Lowell.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 381
  • 3. $0.05 soda token .jpg
    3. $0.05 soda token .jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 380
  • 4. $0.05 soda token_Hinsdale, NH?.jpg
    4. $0.05 soda token_Hinsdale, NH?.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 378
  • 5. WWII token_front.jpg
    5. WWII token_front.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 373
  • 6. WWII token_reverse.jpg
    6. WWII token_reverse.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 371
  • 6. Merc front.jpg
    6. Merc front.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 371
  • 8. Merc reverse.jpg
    8. Merc reverse.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 374
Nice finds! I love that Lowell name plate. Is the pin sterling? It looks art nouveau to me.

Looks like we have a few more days of warmer weather in Eastern Mass. But I noticed my detector started to get real funky at 20 degrees yesterday evening.

Nice finds! I love that Lowell name plate. Is the pin sterling? It looks art nouveau to me.

Looks like we have a few more days of warmer weather in Eastern Mass. But I noticed my detector started to get real funky at 20 degrees yesterday evening.

Thanks Rockie, no the pin I think is copper - silver plated at one point in time. Rang up like an IHP on my Etrac

Very nice assortment of find there, congratulations! I'll be heading out tomorrow for a hunt and hope i can do half as good as you did. HH

Nice assortment of finds, off the iron. I especially like the Owen Moran ID tag.

I just tried to search for an Owen Moran at Ancestry.com (in City Directories for Lowell, MA and in U.S. Census records) but with no luck so far. The engraving on the tag is similar to what you might see on a late 19th Century love token.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom