71.8 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_4193.JPG
    IMG_4193.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 358
  • IMG_4194.JPG
    IMG_4194.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 385
Dug it ......

In a spot that had been not too recently tilled. Maybe 7 years ago. I've never held or seen one in person, but this seems to fit the bill. Rang up as lead and I'd found a copper harmonica plate nearby.
This will be my first Musket ball ever. I'm in the right area for this type of relic.
Thanks for the input. :yes:
Marty

Confirmation (sp)?

How do I know it's legit ? I'm 90% sure even though I've never had one in hand.
Are there weights, dimensions, etc ? There's no question that it is not a fishing related item.
Thanks for your input.
Marty

I would be positive it is a musket ball, most likely a .45 caliber ball or .50 cal. But it is immpossible to tell if it is 100 years old or 1 year old, a lead ball is a lead ball and many of the folks that do muzzleloader hunting,etc. still shoot round ball.

I have found a few like that here in Mryland so I am certain that that is a musket ball if it is made out of lead. It looks to be the right size (not a ball bearring or fishing weight for sure) your right about never knowing the exact age of a musket ball since it was used for such a long time period. the best guess that you can get is from the history of the surrounding area and the patina forming on the ball. Revolutionary, early civil war, or somebody out shooting an antique you just never know for certain. It would help to determine the exact size and weight of the ball could help narrow down the possibilities since there are so many models and calibers.

Doesn't appear to be very old. There's no patina on it and it's way too small to have been fired from any of the 1700-1800s period muskets. I'd say it may be custom 'shot' (type of shotgun ammo) designed for a specific game (animal). Maybe something larger than a .30 caliber round for a shotgun but using less pellets. Idk though, just speculating. Still a cool find. It'd be white if it were old.

Congrats on the musket ball. Now sit and contemplate how long ago that might have been fired from a weapon. WTG!
Steve/WMASS

Back
Top Bottom