My New MXT: Success and Frustration

Texaspast

Elite Member
I had posted a few weeks ago asking for members to compare several detectors I was considering to replace my venerable Compass Scanner XP-Pro - I love the ol' Pro, but needed something with more depth to it (the XP Pro won't see a dime deeper than about 4-1/2 inches with the standard 8" coil and the 12" coil weighs a LOT and doesn't pinpoint worth a dang). I went with the MXT, which I received last Wednesday. I've put in about 7 hours with it since then with some success, but a bit of frustration, too.
First, to explain what I find frustrating about the MXT, I'll explain a bit about what I was accustomed to (and loved) with the Compass. My ONLY complaint with the Compass was the depth. If they still made them and could add about 2-1/2" inches to the depth, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. The discrimination is great - when you notch out pull tabs and iron, you don't hear pull tabs or iron at all, but the meter shows what's under the coil. And nickels are notched in. And the notch system works just fine. Pinpointing (with the 8" coil) is perfect and very, very easy. The item will be right under the dot in the middle of the coil (with the exception of some on-edge coins). Ground conditions are never a problem. No ground balance issues, mineralization problems, etc. It's automatic. The volume is constant. You have to trust the meter to tell you an approximate depth, and it won't blow your ears off on shallow or big targets.
Now to the MXT - I realize that some of these issues will resolve themselves with practice, but some of them really irritate me right now.
Before it arrived, I told another metal detectorist I happened to meet that I had ordered it and it was on its way. He said 'have they fixed them to where they'll work in this East Texas red clay and iron ore? Everyone who had one says the ground around here plays havoc with them.' Uh-oh, I think.
It arrived on Wednesday, I take it outside to give it a test run. I notice right off that it is a really noisy machine, constantly talking to itself. I mean, constantly. I did a spin around the yard (our house was the neighborhood meeting place for all the kids for blocks around in the '40s to the '60s, so I've found lots of change in the yard). I've hunted it thoroughly over the years. I notice the iron in the clay seems to keep it from maintaining a constant threshold. Also, the discrimination is not too good, but maybe I'll figure it out better. I passed over a grass-covered brass sprinkler head and just about lost the hearing in both ears - OK, turn down the volume on the headphones! I did find a 1940 mercury dime, and that was cool. Next, on Thursday I went to the city park where I've had some success (a number of wheaties and a couple of silver dimes). I only found a couple of clads - the topsoil is shallow on most of this park, with the red clay and iron ore rocks only 3-4" down, and that does seem to irritate the MXT. A good bit of trash, too, and the machine has a rough time of that - probably need a smaller coil (I'm using the 9.5" standard coil now).
Today I went to a very old church site, not used as a church since 1907, but where they have held annual picnics since then, so lots of pop-tops. I've hunted the heck out of this site over the years, found a number of wheaties, buffalo nickels and mercury dimes. Today I spent a couple of hours there and found a 1917 mercury and a 1910 wheatie, and a few modern coins. This is deeper sandy soil, so the machine ran quieter. I also figured out that I do better without headphones and running in relic mode.
My first impressions:
Really good depth - both good coins today were at 6 to 7 inches.
Discrimination - what discrimination? Not satisfied with it at all - maybe with more practice...
Pinpointing - well, all I can say is that I now understand why everyone needs a probe. That will be my next acquisition. The 'pinpoint by squeal' is really irritating, too loud, and not terribly accurate - just my initial reactions.
Oh well - I'm sure it will grow on me. I do like that my first coin with this machine was a mercury dime. And I know when I go relic hunting I'll REALLY appreciate the depth! (My first coin with the Compass was a walking lib half - it was 1" directly under my coil when I turned the machine on at the first place I went to search - an abandoned baseball park. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good!)
BTW - any hints, suggestions, schooling, etc. any of you may have for me on the MXT will be GREATLY appreciated! I've got a lot of $$ (for me) tied up in it, I know it's a good machine, and I want to get the most out of it I can.

With an MXT you need a set of head phones with a limiter circuit. I run my phones wide open to hear the quiet or weak signals and let the limiter take care of the large shallow targets and pinpoint noise.

Also the MXT does run quieter in the trigger centered position. It will sound the same with relic trigger forward as the C/J mode.

Depending on the soil minerals a DD may help.

Rob

I bet with practice you will end up loving it. I personally went with the M 6 which is very similar. If you ignore the signals that bounce around a lot and stick with the solid consistent VDI readings it will probably end up being your favorite machine!

Relax and don't get frustrated...... turn the threshold down a little more so you can't hardly hear it. I wish I had time to address your post the way I want to, but I'm strapped for time... gotta get to work and leave early because it's snowing here and the roads are icey. I'm afraid my one-hour trek in is gonna take at least 90 minutes.

Meanwhile, I'm sure the other more seasoned MXT users will trry to address your concerns. I'll catch up tomorrow.

I know it involves spending more money, but I'd buy a DD coil for it. Maybe the guys can explain better why the DD.... (HELP GUYS!)

Last edited:
I have never ran into anyone including myself that didn't have a problem with the MXT when they first got it. I remember six years ago when I took mine out for the first time, I said oh man, what have I done. It was like a constant snap crackle pop and drove me nuts. Now I still use it six years later and have not found another detector yet I would give it up for and I have tried a bunch. My first suggestion is, along with advice from other members would be to pick up Jeff Fosters book "The MXT Edge" it will put you way ahead on the learning curve and have that MXT purring like a kitten. ALso, the MXT will work fine in the red clay. Being a high gain machine makes it inherently noisey but it can be overcome with some adjustments and equipment changes. Headphones with limiter as suggested to overcome those ear bashing overloads, DD coil to smooth out the threshold in that red clay. Also, when you are in an area that you can run it hot, +1 +2 +3, the MXT is a bad a__ machine. To start, make sure it's ground balanced. After ground balancing, hold the coil waist high. pull the pin point trigger and lower the coil to the ground. There should only be a slight increase of sound. If it's really chattering, back off the gain a little and turn down the threshold. This is a good way to start with the MXT as you learn it and get used to it. Anyway, those that give the MXT a chance, usually end up loving it. Good luck with yours!

Sounds like you need a small DD coil for the bad areas. It will quiet down your machine a little and help with the pinpointing. Just my opinion.

Thanks for the help, guys - Rudy, I'll read all those links and Tim, I'll try those tricks. I guess going from a silent machine that I'd used for so long that I could understand every burp it made, to a noisy machine is a hard jump. A couple of other things I remember that bugged me: I'm left handed, so tuning is not as simple as it could be if I were right handed. The toggle trigger on the handle is just a little too close to the bend in the handle for me, so my big ol' finger keeps pushing it to the forward setting when I'm swinging. The balance is a little too light in the front - I'd rather have a little more weight on the coil so I don't have to wear that arm strap - I can see where the arm strap would be great for in-the-field relic hunting where I don't dig that often, but in a park-type setting, it's kind of cumbersome to keep undoing the strap.
Anyway, I do appreciate the help. I'll get used to this machine, I'm sure, and love it as much as my old Compass.

Can you turn the box around on the MTX? Looks like you'd have to get inside the guts of it to get to the screws and I'm not EVEN going to try that myself. It would, however, make operation a lot easier.

As for using the arm strap. I leave mine a little loose and just slide my arm out and grab the strap with my hand, then set it down. If you are wearing long sleeves then you have to hold the sleeve cuff with your fingers when you slide your arm back in so the sleeve does not hang up on the strap. A little practice and you won't even notice taking it off, zip and it's off!

As for using the arm strap. I leave mine a little loose and just slide my arm out and grab the strap with my hand, then set it down. If you are wearing long sleeves then you have to hold the sleeve cuff with your fingers when you slide your arm back in so the sleeve does not hang up on the strap. A little practice and you won't even notice taking it off, zip and it's off!

I do the same, but mostly because I switch my detector between hands.
The weight gets too much after a bit so I give my arm a rest by swinging with the other. I learned real quick what length to leave the strap, but it'll need some adjusting now that I have to wear a winter jacket. I also grab the strap to set it down.

OK, I'm kind of getting used to the machine. I took it out to our local youth baseball multi-field complex. A couple of the fields have been there since the '40s or '50s. I've found a few wheaties there over the years, but lots and lots of modern coins. And LOTS AND LOTS of pulltabs and screwtops. Worked the area for about 1-1/2 hours. I turned the discrimination way up since I was hunting mainly to learn how the machine dealt with modern coins among debris. Not bad. I do miss the programmable notching out of certain numbers, but I'll get used to it. I notice this coil (the 9.5" stock) has a pretty good-sized 'halo' - a brass sprinkler head 6" from the coil affects it. Also, I got several 'ghost' deep signals - reading from 77 to 83 at 6-7", repeatable and solid, but nothing there. I'm assuming it was a reaction to some of the surrounding trash. Also, I found several flattened bullets (I think they were .38 caliber size) and they mostly registered around 72-74. Anyway, I found enough change to buy a new set of batteries (which I don't need yet - I'm impressed with how long a battery set lasts, and the voltage display).
A question for you more experienced with this machine: does increasing the discrimination decrease the depth sensitivity like it does on analog machines?

A question for you more experienced with this machine: does increasing the discrimination decrease the depth sensitivity like it does on analog machines?

You won't be decreasing depth but you will miss deeper targets because even though the detector will be sensing the deeper targets it won't pass the information to you because it will be rejecting the close by discriminated items.

Rob

Back
Top Bottom