Question….?

tabdog

Elite Member
People say thay have been metal detecting sense thay
got thair first metal detector. That’s how thay know how
many years of experience thay have.

I have a problem. I don’t know how long I been doin it.
I don’t know how many years of experience I got.

I got my first “treasure hunting” metal detector in 1982.
About 26 years ago. It broke about 2 years later.

Didn’t get another one until July 28, 2007.

BUT…………….

In 1978 ( 30 years ago ) I started surveying.

For most of that time I researched land corners and
property corners. I also searched for them. Every day,
5 to 6 days a week, we had to have a metal detector of
some kind, or we could not do our job. We were constantly
looking for corners with our brains and our locators. Then
we dug them up.

We measured and set more corners, based on existing
corners.

I have used magnets to find metal property corners. I have
used Whites, Fisher, Garrett, Schonstedt, National Steel
and others.

Most of what we did was to measure ground based on known
reference points. But, that involves constantly finding the
known reference points. ( pins or monuments )

My question is.

How many years have I been metal detectin?

Happy Hunting,

Tabdog

I started looking on the ground for pennies @ 1969 when I was 4 and my dad would tell me to look on the ground for money. So technically I've been metal detecting for 39 years. Detecting with my eyes for 39 years and with a machine for 10 months. And my machine is still working so its still 10 months. But I dont hunt everyday so do I have to deduct the days I hunt from the days I do then divide 365 X 24 hours= total hours a year so...................................... DOES IT REALLY MATTER? Tabdog you started in 82. Thats 26 years ago period brother. Its been in your blood ever since 82. WOLF

Huh?

Is this a trick question?

If a train heading east at 32 mph at night hits a deer running north across the tracks at 22 mph, what is the square root of blue?

That's you on the left isn't it? You know, in that deliverance photo / wanted poster.

:)

Paul

Hay Everyone thanks for the responses.

Seems the concenses is I been doin it for

some 26 to 30 years. That's a long time.

Kystonewall asked:

Did you happen to find anything(besides markers)
when you were surveying?

You bet, we found all kinds of stuff. Most
of it worthless. The real prises were tha
corners themselves.

For instance:

A 150 year old burnt piece of pine.
(called a burnt pine knot) These were many
times used to set as corners.

I've dug up 150 year old bottles that were set
as corners. We know because the original notes
described the corners very well.

I dug three feet in the middle of a bussy street
intersection to find a 150 year old adz blade.
An adz is an old wood working tool. That adz
blade was set as a corner . Modet T ford axels
set as corners. Old tractor axels and wagon
axels have been found that were set as corners.

Obviously, tha list goes on. But I think you get
tha drift of it.

Happy Huntin,

Tabdog

That is interesting that different items have been used as markers. I always assumed they were rebar or such as I have found a few for property owners. I'm right at 30 years detecting also, steve in so az

Dont know about you TabDog, but I know how long I've been 'tecting. I bet I can speak for everyone on this forum when I say, "Not Long Enough!"

I started looking on the ground for pennies @ 1969 when I was 4 and my dad would tell me to look on the ground for money. So technically I've been metal detecting for 39 years. Detecting with my eyes for 39 years and with a machine for 10 months. And my machine is still working so its still 10 months. But I dont hunt everyday so do I have to deduct the days I hunt from the days I do then divide 365 X 24 hours= total hours a year so...................................... DOES IT REALLY MATTER? Tabdog you started in 82. Thats 26 years ago period brother. Its been in your blood ever since 82. WOLF

I agree with WOLF! As long as you've been out there finding markers and other goodies with a metal detector, even if it was surveying, you were metal detecting.

I've been metal detecting with a metal detector for almost 9 years now, but like WOLF I've been doing it with the eyeballs :shock: since grade school. It all started when my dad picked up an 1832 large cent off the surface, cleaned it up, and gave it to me:wow:...That lit the treasure hunting blaze in me forever!

I've often been jealous of surveyors poking around stone walls and property lines like that!...except when I see all the poison ivy out there.:lol:

Yep... 30 years sounds right TD.... but who's counting? We just do it... for the mystery, the excersise, the possibility of 'the dance'... HH RickO

Let's see.....
IF we take the year of the dog.... divide it by the number of legs on a frog.... add the square root of a worthless marker.... multiply by the age of dirt..... and subtract the number of rocks in a circle....

No that wont work...
Let's see...
we gotta take the number of leaves on a tree and then.......

I'm thinkin' it's just been a long time ! :wow:

Back
Top Bottom