The MXT,VDI numbers and nickles

Mister7

I read a post on another site from an MXT user that stated by way of advice that when he gets a nickle reading with a VDI number of 14 its a true nickle but any higher number is trash....My experience is that modern nickle readings could range with VDI numbers from 14-18,sometimes (rarely) into the 20 range. The exception to this was a 1943 (silver alloy)wartime nickle 6 inches down that gave a 22 VDI reading. I know there are alot of new MXT users on the board (as am I)and thought this might help. I've found that since really watching my VDI numbers closely I've been digging alot more nickles and alot less trash.

It's always going to depend on depth and soil conditions. Where I am, Jefferson nickels are usually a solid 20, sometimes 18. Buffalos are typically 18. V's come in between 14 and 16. Not sure why there's so much difference since they're technically of the same composition. Just a tip, deep nickels here will "bounce" between +4 and +20 and usually have a reading of +12.

My experience echoes yours regarding the VDI range of nickels. However, when my MXT registers a +18 I "take it to the bank" that it's a nickel.

Yup... nickels were coming in at solid 18 here, but I've since seen a couple come in at a solid 20.

I haven't found any Vs with my MXT yet, so I appreciate the info, Okie.

I'm glad I caught this because I've been ignoring numbers below +14.

It's always going to depend on depth and soil conditions. Where I am, Jefferson nickels are usually a solid 20, sometimes 18. Buffalos are typically 18. V's come in between 14 and 16. Not sure why there's so much difference since they're technically of the same composition. Just a tip, deep nickels here will "bounce" between +4 and +20 and usually have a reading of +12.

I echo that Dale. Although nickels are usually a solid 18 for me, I've hunted grounds so bad that I've had nickels phase shifted up to 22. Use the VDI only as one of the inputs to your dig / no dig decision.

pencils tops come in at a pretty solid 18 also. Ice

So true, I've had older pull tabs give me a VDI of 16-18,like Rudy mentioned,VDI #s aren't the end-all as to whether to dig or move on but they are a valuable indicator amongst several others.

I've had a shield nickle that was shallow and apparently on edge read as a V.D.I. 8. So many factors come into play on where things read up, depth, whats next to something, angle, just gotta dig it.

..............18 works for me! Especially if it locks on solid in the confidence blocks. The pull tabs somewhat fluctuate and ,again that is somewhat! I dig ALL the 17-20's as I do not want to miss any Rings!

I didn't realize nickel VDI numbers varied so much....

I've owned my MXT for 7years and dug between 4 and 5 thousand nickels minimum. Most of the nickels gave a VDI of 20. Sometimes a deep nickel will be 18. Very infrequently I've found an older nickel that the VDI bounced down to 16. The MXT is hands down the best nickel machine I've used and I've owned many different detectors. It's the only machine that consistently found over 1000 nickels a year when I use it to clad hunt. Once you really learn the detector you can use the pinpoint to tell nickels from the other targets that give a similar VDI reading (metal eraser holder off pencils or beavertail tabs, there are others but I can't think of any right now). I've never found a nickel with a VDI of 14. I do a lot of field hunting and dig any positive VDI numbers and the shield and V nickels have always come in close to where new nickels read on my MXT. I guess the VDI numbers must vary from machine to machine.

Most of my nickels are 18 - 20, but when I get a bouncing 16 - 18 - 20 it also gets nickels. I've found a lesser amount of nickels above 20 but not consistently. Nickels make up a large percentage of my finds. I would dig a 14 because it doesn't match up with my usual junk, but I don't recall many nickels with this number. Rob

The 4 rings are definitely of no value. I was digging 14 and odd numbers after the gold class ring I found yesterday with a VDI of 14. The first VDI 14 I dug today was the ring with the fake stones, I thought I had done it again. That's why so many nickels, besides the usual 16 - 20 range I usually dig I was digging them from 14 - 22.

It just goes to show you about the Beep - Dig theory. I got a solid 26 reading, which is usually a tab. I pulled out a nickel ????? which didn't seem right. I kept waving the coil over the hole and got a total of 6 nickels from the hole. Them I got a dime 2" to the left, a quarter just below the hole and finally another nickel 3" to the left of the hole. Rob

Attachments

• clad2.jpg
    clad2.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 780
  • class.jpg
    class.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 764
  • nickels.jpg
    nickels.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 782
  • junk.jpg
    junk.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 774
THis very interesting to me. My MXT bangs Jefferson nickels almost every timeat 20. Every once in a great while, 18. Havent popped a V or Buffalo yet.

At 18 VDI in my area, I'm betting the farm on a pencil erasure.

Just shows that soil composition and conditions do alter readings.

Around here an 18 is almost always a nickle. A 20 is either a nickle or a beaver tail without the ring.Once in a while a pencil top.Over 5-6 inches my nickels hit at 16 or 14. Of course V nickels, war nickels etc will ring up different.

Back
Top Bottom