This is a first for me...

banshee89

Elite Member
14590171404_f3afb3f71b_z.jpg

14405474409_eba56d9bb2_z.jpg

I was on my way back to the car with 2 kids in tow and was just wildly swing the detector on the ground.... and the signal this coin gave out was like someone buried a mack truck. I had to dig her out and see what it was.

Apparently I need to experiment taking coin pictures. Anybody have any pointers.... for a Panasonic Lumix FZ-150?

Anyway, I looked it up.... but lets see if anybody can guess what it is by these pictures.

Foreign bi-metal coin for sure.
Don't know which country, but they seem to be all over the place.
Ahh, I see Jordan on the coin so Arabic.
I am always surprised by the amount and types of foreign coins I find even though I live smack dab in the geographic middle of the country.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=186958

On your camera I am sure you have a macro setting.
It is the little flower on your selector dial.
Use that with some decent lighting and you should be able to get some nice close up pics.

http://m.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmcfz150

Use some sort of app to reduce, crop and enhance your pics and there are many good free ones out there.
I have been using Irfanview for many years and it works well for me.

Thanks for the info on the camera.... and yes, its a 1/2 Dinar from Jordan.

I though it was neat and it must cost them some $$ to make these coins. Now I am kind of embarrassed by the quality of late US coins.

Apparently, yesterday my chances of finding a 1/2 dinar from Jordan were greater than finding any US coin older than 1964. :lol:
Funny how that works..... I guess you just never know what your going to dig up.

Thanks for the info on the camera.... and yes, its a 1/2 Dinar from Jordan.

I though it was neat and it must cost them some $$ to make these coins. Now I am kind of embarrassed by the quality of late US coins.

Apparently, yesterday my chances of finding a 1/2 dinar from Jordan were greater than finding any US coin older than 1964. :lol:
Funny how that works..... I guess you just never know what your going to dig up.

I know what you mean (re: coin quality). I exhumed a 1988 Mexican 20 Peso coin the other day. It cleaned up nicely and was relatively thick and quite heavy for its size. Thought it might even be gold, but quick internet search indicated it's solid brass. Still a superlative coin when compared to modern US coinage.

Great finds, by the way!

Back
Top Bottom