Is the jewelry you find on beaches yours to keep

Carcola33

Was told by jewelry store here in Florida that if you find something you have to turn it in to police and wait 30days if no one claims it it's yours.

There is a bunch of Florida beach hunters here and I have not heard of this.
Besides what authority does a store have?:lol:
I know there are certain laws in Florida so you need to find out what they are.:yes:

Yes I think the law says any found object of value must be turned in to the police and if no one claims it in 30 days it's yours. Now, take my word for it, someone will claim it. I keep what I find unless it has a name or a class ring with initials in it I can return myself.

I imagine it would become irritating to the cops if we reported everything we dug up. :lol: Now, if it's a 10,000 dollar ring, that's different, but even then, you're taking a risk by letting even the cops see it. Someone could come forward and claim it who isn't the real owner. I am hesitant to describe my finds in case someone tries to claim the item. If someone came up to me and said "Hey, I lost a ---" and the description matches something I've found, I'd reunite them. If they weren't specific enough, I'd ask them to provide a more detailed description, which shouldn't be too hard if they are the real owner. A picture of them with the item- even better. If they can't describe it, it isn't theirs.

When I found my first gold ring, family members kept saying "You should put up a newspaper or Craigslist ad with a picture of the ring to see if the owner claims it." :roll: I know what would happen. Fifty people would come forward claiming the ring is theirs. Proof of ownership is too easy to falsify. :( It's sad that that's the world we live in but it is.

I live in Miami area and if I find something it's mine ,besides believe me the cops around here have bigger fish to fry. :police:

Well, I just wouldn't "find" anything worth sharing with anyone else...

No sir, I never find anything, heck this detector doesn't even have batteries!

FLORIDA laws are STRANGE. The law is clear there. It has been featured on the news. Even if you find loose bills you have to turn them in or you are committing a felony.

A lot of states have laws about turning things in. Even in Michigan as I was informed by a police detective. So yes we are all criminals if the laws get pushed.

You also can't really water detect in Florida if you read how the law is written. Basically at low tide you can't get in the water. I detect from the dune line to neck deep. I also asked a cop on the beach about turning stuff in one morning. He started laughing and said hell no! No cop is gonna waste time tracking owners down. I used to work by the FOP lodge. Any stolen bike used to get auctioned off. Makes no sense burning thousands of tax dollars for a $50 bike.

NO! It IS the law. And there are hefty fines and potential jail time for failing to comply. And I should know because I am the one you send your finds to.

So send ALL the rings and other sparkling finds to me, care of this forum.

B4GptUVCMAAZeCh.jpg

705.102 Reporting lost or abandoned property.— Florida

(1) Whenever any person finds any lost or abandoned property, such person shall report the description and location of the property to a law enforcement officer.

(2) The law enforcement officer taking the report shall ascertain whether the person reporting the property wishes to make a claim to it if the rightful owner cannot be identified or located. If the person does wish to make such claim, he or she shall deposit with the law enforcement agency a reasonable sum sufficient to cover the agency's cost for transportation, storage, and publication of notice. This sum shall be reimbursed to the finder by the rightful owner should he or she identify and reclaim the property.

(3) It is unlawful for any person who finds any lost or abandoned property to appropriate the same to his or her own use or to refuse to deliver the same when required.

(4) Any person who unlawfully appropriates such lost or abandoned property to his or her own use or refuses to deliver such property when required commits theft as defined in s. 812.014, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

I'm not going to turn jack into the police. You know it will go home in someone's pocket that not yours. Why should you do all the work and they get the rewards? If I found items like that,I would keep an eye out in the lost and found for a month then it's mine.

Back
Top Bottom