Small coil for etrac (6" treasure seeker)?

Mountain Mike

Elite Member
I need a small coil for my etrac for high trash areas. I hear that coiltek makes great coils for minelabs. So I see that they make a 6' round and a 5x10 DD. What kind of depth are you guys getting from the 6' round? From what I understand DD coils use the center strip for detection (Sabisch book). So would there be a lot of difference in the stock 11" and the 5x10? Or if you have a suggestion for a small coil let me know.

I just got the 6" Coiltek for my Safari but haven't got to use it much. I did get out with it for about an hour and pulled out a nickel and a couple coppers all from about the 5 inch mark, all sang out loud and clear so I'm expecting it to get another inch or two easy. I was skeptical at first but that short hunt eased my mind.

Edit: the Coiltek 6" round is also a DD

I have the 10x5 and dug lots of dimes at 7" that hit good ... little more coverage but being only 5" wide you can still get great separation ... It would be my choice unless it is super heavy duty trashy ... I pull good targets out of trash all the time with the 10x5 ... both are great coils and both are DD

Getting the feeling not a lot of people have info on the coilteks. I can't find many reviews at all on the 6" or 5x10" anywhere. Hard to decide without a comparison.

I have to say that my NEL Sharpshooter does great in the trash, its just a pain to get the cable up the lower shaft. If you get this coil, get a spare lower shaft to leave it on...

today with the 10x5 I dug a smashed hot wheel car that was deeper than my TRX was long, around 10" deep. I love that coil

I was up in the air, as to which one I wanted to get as well..............went with the Coiltek 10x5 with lower rod. Dealer liked the separation, and depth, more coverage than the 6", saw good reviews on Coiltek coils in general Now if Spring would get here I could try it out!!!

I use mine a lot ... had it running in manual sens at 25 and digging pennies today at 8"

An 8 inch penny? Shoot I was getting pennies at 10 inches and got a wheat penny at 11 one day in the trashy field in back of the RV park with my NEL Sharpshooter coil running TTF and Auto plus 3...

I wonder what kind of depth I could get out of the 6" coiltek. It is a DD coil. Think I could get 8-9 "?

You made me curious. I put the 6" Coiltek on my Safari, found a clear spot in the yard, adjusted sensitivity to 15 which is 3/4 sensitivity, noise cancelled, and AIR TESTED above the coil. At 3/4 sensitivity all metal, a silver rosie thunked in with an iron signal that I would not have dug at exactly 7 inches and gave me a good repeatable digger signal at exactly 6. At full sensitivity (20) got a nondiggable repeating thunker at 8 1/2 and a solid repeating digger at 7-7 1/4 inches. I know a Safari isn't an Etrac but it's the same coil and it certainly won't get LESS depth with an Etrac right?

Air testing the 6" coil on an FBS detector isn't probably going to be accurate to it's actual depth capabilities. It will likely get more depth on a target that has been in the ground than what you will get in an air test. Unless you have a test garden that has been in place for at least a year, you won't get an accurate test of it's depth capabilities.

Back
Top Bottom