Sovereign GT

bottlecapbob

I'm making the jump... this time next week I will have a new sovereign gt in my hands It was hard to turn down the offer and a minelab rep assured me after the guarantee is up they will continue to have parts for 10 years.

Been using a V3I, DFX and a PI it's all I have known and I have been VERY happy with my finds so far. So my question is what kind of cover can I use with the GT. I am hard on the beach and usually put hours in... I want to keep the sand out of the controls.
I am also open to any other suggestions you guys have about the machine.
THANKS!

They make a bag for that puppy.

Good luck with your new detector, it's
a deep hitter.

I'm sure your gonna love your new GT. Mine has become my favorite detector.
I'm not sure (cuz I bought mine use) but I think they come with a bag that will do a good job of protecting the unit.

Get some toggle boots, for sure. I got mine from mouser electronics. I think the threads are 1/4-40tpi. Along with some tape over the external speaker, this will help keep the sand out of it. I keep mine in the chest mount bag, even when it's on the shaft. Have fun w/ your GT, it's a blast!

Got mine waterproofed in a plano box. If I didn't id find a nice bag for it, not sure though. hh an gl. -Joe

GT is everything one wants in a non-waterproof beach machine... holds its own in the dirt as well... I used to use my DF in the wet sand all the time... now the DF sits in the corner waiting for a water hunt... one of these days :lol: Nothing better than digging old silver and gold and not worrying about bottlecaps or bobbiepins anymore ;)

The GT is good. Put electrical tape across the speaker. Buy the toggle half boots. Keep the electronics out of the water. Chest mount for shallow water, shaft mount for wet and dry sand and dirt. The Gt is a deep dirt machine also.

It's turning into my favorite machine. For some reason the 10" tornado coil runs unstable down here. Might be the salinity of the water where i hunt? SEF coils are deadly with a Sov. GT. That 15"x12" i bought off of fsa goes as deep as my dualfield down here. Don't have soil issues like you guys do.
They make some camera bags that fit the controls. I'd also slide a plastic baggy upside down open over the top. Not good to totally bag controls off down here where we are. Our humidity builds moisture up inside the bag that can't get out. Might want to save you some dessicant drying agent packs to put in the carrying bag. Can't hurt.

Last edited:
Here's what I did to protect mine. I have mine hip mounted in a canvas tool pouch which is splash proof. (Lowe's)
The coil cable connection and threads are sealed with silicone grease to prevent corrosion. (Pool supply store.)
I picked up a piece of scrap sign vinyl to match (free) at a local sign shop and cut it to fit over the speaker making that splash proof. The sign vinyl is peel and stick and waterproof.
I put marine weatherproof boots over the switches which have really helped to keep the sand and salt spray out. (Granger) But I would shop around their price have really gone up. http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/APM-HEXSEAL-Boot-1UDJ9?Pid=search

I brush the face off with a dry paint brush to get the sand off when I get home.

So far so good after four years. Hope this helps, great wet sand machine

Attachments

• GT 001.JPG
    GT 001.JPG
    177.8 KB · Views: 549
It's turning into my favorite machine. For some reason the 10" tornado coil runs unstable down here. Might be the salinity of the water where i hunt? SEF coils are deadly with a Sov. GT. That 15"x12" i bought off of fsa goes as deep as my dualfield down here. Don't have soil issues like you guys do.
They make some camera bags that fit the controls. I'd also slide a plastic baggy upside down open over the top. Not good to totally bag controls off down here where we are. Our humidity builds moisture up inside the bag that can't get out. Might want to save you some dessicant drying agent packs to put in the carrying bag. Can't hurt.

That is really strange from what I hear you guys don't have all the black sand or hot rocks we have up here and I run the sensitivity pretty hot with no problems at all with my 10 inch Tornado.

That is really strange from what I hear you guys don't have all the black sand or hot rocks we have up here and I run the sensitivity pretty hot with no problems at all with my 10 inch Tornado.

Me or Gregs neither one can handle the 10" tornado down by the water. I think it has something to do with there is nothing for it to track. No machines ground balance here. At least none i own. SEF i can run at 10 oclock. The tornado freaks out at 2 oclock or even lower down by the water.

Me or Gregs neither one can handle the 10" tornado down by the water. I think it has something to do with there is nothing for it to track. No machines ground balance here. At least none i own. SEF i can run at 10 oclock. The tornado freaks out at 2 oclock or even lower down by the water.

Its that is something the stock coil is the only
coil that I have that will run smooth.

WOT PFFT! Sunray 12" PFFT! :laughing:

Its that is something the stock coil is the only
coil that I have that will run smooth.

WOT PFFT! Sunray 12" PFFT! :laughing:

:laughing: Most Sov guys down here i see are running wots. I thought the 15" SEF was big. There is a younger guy using one that looks like a mower deck:lol:

:laughing: Most Sov guys down here i see are running wots. I thought the 15" SEF was big. There is a younger guy using one that looks like a mower deck:lol:

Its I met a member by me who runs the SEF it seemed very stable.

Maybe my next toy! :laughing:

The WOT is way to chatty for me. But the deep signals do come threw.
I just can't handle all those chirps and burps.

I sold my 10" Tornado due to the false signals. That coil works great on the dry sand or dirt. It also works well on the wet slope but 10 feet from the water the falsing starts causing you to dummy down the sensitivity setting. I use a 12" aftermarket coil as my main setup now and it is by far more stable. My 8" Tornado does not have this issue and my 12X15 SEF is stable up to a point. Maybe we have more salt in the water here?

I sold my 10" Tornado due to the false signals. That coil works great on the dry sand or dirt. It also works well on the wet slope but 10 feet from the water the falsing starts causing you to dummy down the sensitivity setting. I use a 12" aftermarket coil as my main setup now and it is by far more stable. My 8" Tornado does not have this issue and my 12X15 SEF is stable up to a point. Maybe we have more salt in the water here?

I'll send you a jar of our murky saltwater and then you do the taste test ok? :lol:

30 years beach hunting minelab. everyone at beach resort areas carries cell phones at beach and motels affecting all but the etrac and new ctx3030. ferrite bead filter does not prevent. need proof--detect during busy beach day and notice falsing then in evening without cell phones nearby no problem. more proof--raise coil in air toward motels in evening about 100 yards away as phones are still on there and notice falsing but now swing coil up and down beach instead of at motel and notice falsing reduces greatly. more proof--put excel or gt coil in water during busy beach day and falsing disappears as emi cannot transmit thru water. I never had excel falsing on crowded beaches until about 3 years ago. now all this powerful g4 and g5 cell tech and everyone has phone on beach now.

I put marine weatherproof boots over the switches which have really helped to keep the sand and salt spray out. (Granger) But I would shop around their price have really gone up. http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/APM-HEXSEAL-Boot-1UDJ9?Pid=search

THERE he is! Where the h3ll you been CS? Haven't seen a post since you had vacation.

The toggle half-boots ARE expensive, but NECESSARY! I got mine at Allied Electronics. $26.50 after shipping ($5.75), :( Handling (5.00) :?: and tax (1.20) :mad:.

I'll have to look into the sign vinyl... I just have painters tape to keep the sand out.

Raider Regard,

R5

Back
Top Bottom