Gnarly ring marked "18k 750"

Slimpickuns

Forum Supporter
Hey Guys,

Found this chunky ring earlier today hunting the dry sand, Its stamped 18k 750, I'm thinking Bronze or Brass though, what do you guys think? It weighs 14.9 grams. I was bored so I cleaned it up, before and after pics:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 3,670
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 3,784
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 3,878
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 3,738
Cleaned up nice... I've never seen 18k get funky though, so i guess you're on the right track with brass... Check it with acid though, maybe it's 10k...

Man Slim you did a heck of a job cleaning that up ..If it's not 18k well it would fool me now ..

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :)

Try tasting it. If it taste like brass...it probably is brass.:grin: I have the matching necklace and bracelet to go with it, if you need it. :lol:

Cleaned up nice... I've never seen 18k get funky though, so i guess you're on the right track with brass... Check it with acid though, maybe it's 10k...

Thanks Z, never thought of it possibly being 10k..:hmmm:

Man Slim you did a heck of a job cleaning that up ..If it's not 18k well it would fool me now ..

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :)

Thanks BP, my Dremmel did most of the work ;)

That thing sure cleaned up nice!!! That it a heck of of find!

Thanks! :grin:

Try tasting it. If it taste like brass...it probably is brass.:grin: I have the matching necklace and bracelet to go with it, if you need it. :lol:

Thanks for the tip CanSlaw, Did the taste test on it and I couldn't realy taste anything.. Also ran several different magnets over it and nada...Looks like I'm gonna need to acid test it...

Nice find and great job cleaning it with your Dremel. Happy hunting. -Mike

How much time did you put into getting it to shine up like that? Like others have said, I've never seen 18k go green before:?: I suppose it could be REALLY old or due to some oxidative effect specific to the spot you found it in...but it actually looks like gold to me in the "cleaned" pics. If it's brass...sorry, there's always the next one. But if it's actually 18k then that's another awesome find around here lately:yes:

Brass more than likely. I found several brass rings at an old carnival site that cleaned up just like that.

Ring as found

252009ring.jpg

After cleaning

252009.jpg

Man! That first pic looked like a pizza threw up:laughing:, but the rest made all the difference. Looks nice. Hope it's the real McCoy!

Amazing transformation!!

Sometimes 9K-14K gold will "tarnish" when exposed to elements in the water, but I have never seen 18K discolor like that!

Interesting ring!

Good Luck,

CJ

Once found a nice gold "looking" ring at a trades day event near here. It was hard to see the markings on the inside but looked like it said 10K so I put it on Ebay and sold it for about $100 (several years ago). The guy who bought it wanted his money back because he acid tested it and said it was not gold. I refunded his money as bad as I hated to give it up:(. It was the only right thing to do. Lesson learned: All that glitters...

The silver lining in this dark cloud story was that when I bought that ring I also bought about 12 sterling silver rings from the same seller all for $20! Made a killing on the silver ones, so the faux gold one was no biggie after I got over having to give up that Benjamin!:D

its possible it is real,,,it may have been in the water several years and the copper is bleading,,get a test kit with acid and a scaping stone,,,,I find alot of stuff not marked and tests,,,,great find! GL HH

Back
Top Bottom