Craig.. Dug my first Null Sound at 15"

Marty115

Craig.... :mder::mder::digginahole:

I took your advice and dug a null sound at the beach today. I was down at least 15 to 18" and out pops this ring. Turns out to be a plated ring but looking down at the ring in the hole my mouth dropped. Thought it was the motherload!
It was cool to see a ring can null out, I must have missed a lot of rings. I dug another null and hit a piece of jewelry at low tide wet sand. I think I will electroplate the ring again since it is so nice. Thanks for that pearl of wisdom. Just one tip can increase a person's intake over the year.
Marty

Attachments

• Ring1.jpg
    Ring1.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 895
  • Ring2.jpg
    Ring2.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 879
  • Hole.jpg
    Hole.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 834
That's funny, I dug a bottle cap today to test my ears because of his thread!

It nulled because it's a junk ring, so I don't really understand what it proves other than the machibne is doing just what it is supposed to do...

I don't want to start a fight, but if you really think you dug that ring at 15-18" then I have some beautiful land to sell you just across from the Great Wall (on the good side) :D

I dig a ton of !!!! as can be seen from my posts and people can laugh, but I bypass another double or triple amount of signals that I don't dig, because of nulling or broken signals..I just hunt a very iron and trash infested area that I assume is worse than most..

I say dig dig dig until you feel comfortable that you are not leaving goodies behind when you choose NOT to dig :yes:

Nulls are ferrous metal. Not sure what Craig is telling you. I think he means a blip null maybe? Some times a very deep target will null and be non ferrous but not often. You are better to use your sea hunter than the GT if you are digging nulls. One thing you can do if you question the signal, dig one good scoop and try again. If it still nulls walk away.

Craig.... :mder::mder::digginahole:

I took your advice and dug a null sound at the beach today. I was down at least 15 to 18" and out pops this ring. Turns out to be a plated ring but looking down at the ring in the hole my mouth dropped. Thought it was the motherload!
It was cool to see a ring can null out, I must have missed a lot of rings. I dug another null and hit a piece of jewelry at low tide wet sand. I think I will electroplate the ring again since it is so nice. Thanks for that pearl of wisdom. Just one tip can increase a person's intake over the year.
Marty

Marty... I don't dig nulls unless I hear a good tone come through the null and I check it by swinging the coil over the target with a very fast short sweep...

With the GT or the Excal when these detectors null one has to wait until the detector comes out of the null otherwise you may miss a good target as the processor is resetting.

Congrats on the ring it looks great... give it to the wife and the next gold goes in your pocket ;)

Marty... one more thing there could have been a ferrous target somewhere in the hole as well...

Last edited:
It nulled because it's a junk ring, so I don't really understand what it proves other than the machibne is doing just what it is supposed to do...

I don't want to start a fight, but if you really think you dug that ring at 15-18" then I have some beautiful land to sell you just across from the Great Wall (on the good side) :D

Beg to differ bro. My scoop is about 12" long and I had it buried in that hole. It was a good 15" down. I did not dig the target because I could hear it, I dug it because it nulled between iron targets. After about 8" down I could hear the target and it did not null since the ring was gold plated. I frequently dig 12" to 15" for coins. That is no great feat for the Sovereign. I had heard that a null (lack of sound) could be a deep target so I dug the sucker. Apparently it was. I was in discriminate and if the null turns out to be indicating iron I stop digging.
Hope that helps. I use my pi in the water since it is the waterproof machine.
Marty

Beg to differ bro. My scoop is about 12" long and I had it buried in that hole. It was a good 15" down. I did not dig the target because I could hear it, I dug it because it nulled between iron targets. After about 8" down I could hear the target and it did not null since the ring was gold plated. I frequently dig 12" to 15" for coins. That is no great feat for the Sovereign. I had heard that a null (lack of sound) could be a deep target so I dug the sucker. Apparently it was. I was in discriminate and if the null turns out to be indicating iron I stop digging.
Hope that helps. I use my pi in the water since it is the waterproof machine.
Marty

That hole pic shows a hole that is totally collapsed and with each scopp that ring that was 8" is most likely sinking deeper into the hole with each missed recovery...I hunt with both machines Excal & Sov and in PP and I don't believe anyone who tells me they dug a coin or a ring at 15-18"...

I won't believe you nor any other member of this or any other forum...
That's my opinion and I'll stand on that from experience...

again I don't want to argue, so if thats what you want to believe then that is fine..

That hole pic shows a hole that is totally collapsed and with each scopp that ring that was 8" is most likely sinking deeper into the hole with each missed recovery...I hunt with both machines Excal & Sov and in PP and I don't believe anyone who tells me they dug a coin or a ring at 15-18"...

again I don't want to argue, so if thats what you want to believe then that is fine..

I respect your viewpoint but the next time I dig a quarter at 15" dry sand where the hole does not collapse I will stick a ruler in it and take a pic. You may have a different mineralization going on where you live. No argument here except I have retreived coins at that depth. Sorry.
Marty

BP it's hard to explain.But we get way more depth where Marty lives.I hunt the same grounds he does.I dig deep dimes.Deeper in disc than you'll get in pinpoint.Something about our sand?I've dug quarters up high in the hard pack and put a tape measure on them.We are spoiled with depth out here.Not finds! You got the goods up your way!

BP... most hunters in FL have very few minerals to deal with like we have up here...

BP... most hunters in FL have very few minerals to deal with like we have up here...

That's why i haven't got too attached to my dual field.My excal goes just as deep.You guys got the harsh material.We don't have the rocks,shells,etc you guys are haunted with.My dual field may go abouta half inch deeper from what i'm seeing!

If you guys say so...The mineralization and black sand here is very extreme...

I just look at a ruler standing straight up on a desk and then add 3" onto that and think it is a bit impossible...
You guys don't have to prove anything to me if that's what you get then God Bless...

Back
Top Bottom