♫ ♫ I got a new too-ool!♫

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
So I got a set of old family rings that are thick and wide, 14K, you know, like from the 30's or 40's.

Just plain bands, but about 10 grams on the man's and 8 grams on the woman's.

I am also getting hitched next week and me and the little woman decided to use these in the ceremony.
When we get back, we are going to take them to a jeweler and either have them etched with a modern design or just rework them completely.

For now, they will do.
The problem is, mine fits fine, but hers is about a 1/2 size too small.

I called up a local jeweler and they want $45 to enlarge it.
I thought that was crazy because I know there are machines like this tyhat stretch and reduce these things quickly and easily.

STRETCHER.jpg

I assume most jewelers have these, they are only about $150-$250 for decent looking ones on the net.

Then I called a local Bromberg's Jewelery store and asked them.
they would not give me a price till I insisted they give me a range, at least.
$75-$140!

I asked for their hours, they told me, I hung up and told the fiance we are never going there for anything...ever!

The heck with all this...I got on line, went to Amazon, found a bunch of cheap ring mandrals and a bunch of expensive ones and settled on this...

mydeals.jpg

I just got it and I love it!
It appears I got the wrong one, the picture was different...I think I was upgraded, thanks Amazon!
Heavy steel, knurled handle, solid and seems very high quality.
I am going to have and use this for a long, long time.

I need one of these anyway for some crushed and bent rings I found that I might keep, and to straighten out any future rings I find.

Bragging to you guys is much more satisfying when the pics I post have a nice, round ring in it instead of a bent or crushed one.

I already straightened out another bent gold ring I dug, and later I will work on the wedding band.

I don't have a leather hammer, but I have a hard plastic one for now and it seems to work pretty good.

Ladies and gentlemen, may I present, the newest addition to my family of metal detecting tools and accessories...

Mabel the Mandral!

P1010865.jpg
P1010868.jpg

Be careful to not stretch too much.

The ring can and will break if you stretch too much. If the ring has had some sizing work done on it that is where it will likely happen. You will need a ring mandrel mallet too. Don't use a ball ping hammer as you will really mess it up. Maybe a hard rubber mallet will work but the wooden/paper mallets are best. Only hit the bottom band of the rings so you don't mess with any set stones. The ring will still be a little mishapen since most jewlers will use a lathe to give the ring the nice edges but it will be round again just not as straight. I would try to get the ring in shape first then stretch it out. You will then need to polish it, clean in an ultrasonic then wear it. Good luck and HH..

Try placing the ring on the mandrel and with a small block of hard wood (Walnut, ect.) against the side, gently tap the wood. I have found that I can stretch a ring farther this way than tapping the ring itself. Do it a little at a time, reversing the ring often to keep it even. Don't go to far. You can go up, but not down. Most rings should be able to stretch a half a size. If it breaks, you're going to have to have it repaired. The fees you mention sound high unless they were going to add gold. I doubt if they would for just half a size. If they did, it should weigh a little more.

Back
Top Bottom