Experience with tumblers

ROBBIE

Wondering if a general tumbler from wallmart is just as good as more expensive for cleaning clad. What do you guys use in the tumbler to clean.

I 've had one for a while now, but would only use it to clean items with no historic value.
I've found it brings up old brass buckles very well.

I have a cheepo dual drum tumbler that I use on my clad. I highly recommend you never use it on anything you like or want to keep.

I bought one from WalMart 2 years ago and it still works well. I use it for common coins but any coin of value never use a tumbler.

Robbie...
I bought mine at a gem/jewelry/mineral store that charged me $80+ (boy... they seen ME comin')...!
I dare say, a Wal-Mart model is just fine. I only wish that I had done a better search before diggin' so deep into my pocket!
Get the cheap-o. You're trying to salvage money, not throw it away!
They all work the same... they simply tumble. :D

...and if you happen to break a cheap one, it's easier to replace (unless you're spoiled on brand names). ;)

Just a note about cheap tumblers. I have a tumbler I bought from Harbor Freight. It only lasted two months before the rubber belt wore out from a bad pulley. Took it back and got another one. This one lasted about three months before it went south, the plastic bushings for the rollers wore through and the rollers began to eat through the sheet metal. It was costing me about $10.00 in gas to get a replacement. I decided to fix it instead. After fixing it I decided I needed another tumbler and I too didn't like the prices of the ones at the rock shop. I built my own. It has roller bearings supporting the shafts and a heavy duty small motor that I got from salvage. There were several web sites that I used to figure out how to make mine.

A common mistake is to make the belt too tight. This puts a strain on the bearings and pulley.

I'd like to build a tumbler. If johncooper could post a picture of his that would be great. Also I'd like to see the links to some of the sites you mentioned. Rob

Back
Top Bottom